Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Re: Everyone has a book in them.

There have been times I thought about sitting down at the typewriter and trying my hand at writing a novel, but I doubt I ever will.

I prefer to read books than write them.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 09:22 AM

My problem is I love reading them, too. Takes up much of my spare time. I'm so grateful for all those successful authors out there keeping me absorbed and entertained.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 01:17 PM

I gonna put pet to paper again soon, or I should say fingers to keypad, as soon as the weather breaks that is. Sit out in the sun with a lappy. Looking forward to it.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

06-06-2014, 05:45 PM

The oldest of five, Rose was born and brought up in Glasgow in poverty and violence. Her father committed suicide when Rose was nineteen and about to get married. The wedding was postponed for a few months while her father was being buried and her husband to be was finishing basic training to become a paratrooper. It was the worst of times and it was the best of times………… Should I continue?

Fragile Handle With Care by Rose Alison. I started it so many times but was afraid the truth would be too painful for my brothers and sisters. I wanted to write about child abuse back when there weren’t so many books about it. I wanted to encourage people to take much better care of their wee treasures.

Thankfully, there are many books on the subject today.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 06:03 PM

I've been trying to write a book since February but seem to have come to a bit of a halt. Got about 48000 words but still seems like I have a long way to go. No doubt I shall have to hack some of it away if I ever finish it.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 06:25 PM

I'm not good enough at slinging words together to write a novel, but lots of people are sheer geniuses at it.
I would like to publish a book with all the old words I've collected over the years, in both a dictionary and reverse dictionary form.
There's always self-publishing. Its become a lot easier over the years.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bluerose ->
The oldest of five, Rose was born and brought up in Glasgow in poverty and violence. Her father committed suicide when Rose was nineteen and about to get married. The wedding was postponed for a few months while her father was being buried and her husband to be was finishing basic training to become a paratrooper. It was the worst of times and it was the best of times………… Should I continue?

Fragile Handle With Care by Rose Alison. I started it so many times but was afraid the truth would be too painful for my brothers and sisters. I wanted to write about child abuse back when there weren’t so many books about it. I wanted to encourage people to take much better care of their wee treasures.

Tragic as it sounds Rose, it has the makings of a good book and I'm sure it would do very well, but there's always others involved and you have to take their feelings into consideration, that has always caused friction in families when a book is written concerning the family. I personally know a family who split and don't talk to each other over a book written about the Father and Mother's treatment of their children, penned after they both died in a car accident.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Hi Bluerose. You don't always have to get books published. I understand the difficulty with your family, but maybe it's something you need to do for yourself? Sometimes it's good just to get things out and written down on paper.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

07-06-2014, 02:06 PM

Jem and Linden Tree,

Thanks for your posts. On the advice of a good psychiatrist in my twenties, I have written about it on and off for my own health and wellbeing and it helped a great deal. I‘m fine but I still work to help my brothers and sisters.

One of my brothers passed last year from drink at the age of 53, soooooo sad. I feel being the oldest back in my twenties (with the others still to feel the full impact), I got some good help and great advice.

Being married to an amazing guy for twenty years also helped a lot. Divorced twenty years to the day, he still comes around doing his Santa thing for my grown children and grandchildren. He’s had his troubles too. Shot in Northern Ireland in 76 and involved in a serious bombing in 79 that killed 18 of his army buddies.

And the story goes on.
BDBoop
Twin Cities
BDBoop is female 

07-06-2014, 02:24 PM

Jem and Linden Tree,

Thanks for your posts. On the advice of a good psychiatrist in my twenties, I have written about it on and off for my own health and wellbeing and it helped a great deal. I‘m fine but I still work to help my brothers and sisters.

One of my brothers passed last year from drink at the age of 53, soooooo sad. I feel being the oldest back in my twenties (with the others still to feel the full impact), I got some good help and great advice.

Being married to an amazing guy for twenty years also helped a lot. Divorced twenty years to the day, he still comes around doing his Santa thing for my grown children and grandchildren. He’s had his troubles too. Shot in Northern Ireland in 76 and involved in a serious bombing in 79 that killed 18 of his army buddies.

And the story goes on.
I'm so new I haven't introduced myself nor entered my avatar, but nine days ago my 44 year-old sister died from that very cause. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top