Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 10:57 AM

Elderly Exercise?

Elderly people who exercise 'live five years longer'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32735723

Well I will go along with this after my experiment (kinda) that I have run in the last year.

What experiment?

Very little exercise, eat and drink to excess etc, the result of which I'm now 2 stone heavier and as unfit as hell. During this time I hurt my knee from the added impact of the weight on my knee when attempting to run the weight off.

Before the above I was hovering around 10st and able to easily run 10 miles. Last night I did 4x around the football field and had to stop for a while after each lap. I feel like I have aged 10 years at least.

You don't have to but it looks like a good idea to exercise regularly; oh, and eat the right foods too.

Where is a box I can stand on?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 11:00 AM

Re: Elderly Exercise?

I agree although it has to be very fitted to the individual what exercise they do or it can do more harm than good. I am nursing torn ligaments in my knee where I went slightly too enthusiastically at trying to be fitter 3 weeks ago. Result I am less fit than when I started
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Don't expect too much too soon from exercise.
Build up very carefully, despite what the seventy year old marathon runner from down the street demonstrates. [by making it look easy]
He has probably spent spent a lifetime to get where he is today.
The human body will adapt to do anything you want it too, provided you give it time to develop; the older you are, the longer it will take. BE PATIENT....

Choose something you like doing, consistency is the key to getting and keeping fit. Consider it a lifetime quest rather than a flash in the pan. Getting fit and loosing weight are not good reasons to exercise, you will not keep it up. They might give you the incentive to start an exercise program, but your love of the activity you choose will take over after the novelty has worn off.

Sounds like you expected to come back at the same level that you were at when you stopped running Mark. A mistake I have made many times after a lay off.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sounds like you expected to come back at the same level that you were at when you stopped running Mark. A mistake I have made many times after a lay off.
I certainly made a few mistakes when starting back. One step at a time it seems now - literally. Soft ground underfoot is the key I think when you are heavy.

Sure is scary how fast you can do down hill.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I certainly made a few mistakes when starting back. One step at a time it seems now - literally. Soft ground underfoot is the key I think when you are heavy.

Sure is scary how fast you can do down hill.
Mark,
Have you also noticed that as your fitness declines, appetite does not?.....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Mark,
Very much the opposite. It has been really difficult to cut back but now I seem to have got things under control. No, gorging yourself seems to be a very natural thing to do.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:19 PM

A treadmill's a good idea,You can set it to suit Your needs..You can also watch Tele' and eat an apple at the same time :~)...works for Me when the weather is bad like it's been here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:23 PM

That's a good idea May, sadly don't have room for one but perhaps when we move although then I hope we will be somewhere where we can walk outside easier.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:30 PM

Elderly people who exercise 'live five years longer'
Mmmmm five years more as a healthy me would be nice but I wouldn't want five years more in a nursing home

I am hoping three brisk walks a day and gardening will be enough to keep me fit
I eat healthily anyway, I am lucky I guess in that I like healthy food not junk.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2015, 02:36 PM

I find in the winter when I can't walk so far and garden and am less fit I eat more . I eat less when active and fitter I guess because when I am occupied with other things I am not thinking about the next meal .

I lost 6lb decorating the house, rubbing down paintwork is a great work out

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top