Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 11:36 AM

The great COLGATE Toothpaste rip-off!

In case you or your friends haven't noticed Colgate Palmolive is using "Shrinkflation" to deceive the Briths Public.

My wife bought 3 packets of Colgate Total Pro Gum Health 75ml for £3.79 each on a 3 for 3 offer at Waitrose. Even with the "offer" the price is excessive. This is made worse by the deception Colgate Palmolive use in keeping the box size constant whilst reducing the contents by 40% - a considerable amount.

I have noted that in the last 24 months, the price of a packet of Colgate Total toothpaste has risen from around £2.50 to the current £3.79. That's an increase of 52%!

Factor in the 40% reduction in contents from 125ml to 75ml and the real price increase is 2p/ml to 5p/ml UP 250%!

Whilst they Colgate are free to change the size of their products and charge whatever they like, they are not free to deliberately deceive by keeping the box size the same!
It is easily possible to put a full 125ml tube of Colgate Total in the 75ml box. Furthermore the current size of the tube is little more than what most reasonable people would consider to be a "sample" size.

I have used Colgate toothpaste all of my life as have all my family. This now ends. This US company's sheer greed in pursuit of ever-increasing profit via the active policy and use of what can only be described as "theft by deception" means they have lost a lifetime customer forever. I will no longer allow any Colgate Palmolive products in my home!

Colgate Palmolive are breaching the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPRs) and the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008 (BPRs). A business is carrying out a "misleading action" if information it gives "in anyway deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer"
I have made an official complaint to my local Trading Standards office.

In addition, I have begun an online and social media campaign to warn others of their diabolical trading techniques and hopefully others will also decide enough is enough. BBC Watchdog have been informed!

I would ask that everyone please circulate this to as many people as possible and stop buying any Colgate Palmolive products.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Re: The great COLGATE Toothpaste rip-off!

I don't think I buy anything from them all far too expensive.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
In case you or your friends haven't noticed Colgate Palmolive is using "Shrinkflation" to deceive the Briths Public.

My wife bought 3 packets of Colgate Total Pro Gum Health 75ml for £3.79 each on a 3 for 3 offer at Waitrose. Even with the "offer" the price is excessive. This is made worse by the deception Colgate Palmolive use in keeping the box size constant whilst reducing the contents by 40% - a considerable amount.

I have noted that in the last 24 months, the price of a packet of Colgate Total toothpaste has risen from around £2.50 to the current £3.79. That's an increase of 52%!

Factor in the 40% reduction in contents from 125ml to 75ml and the real price increase is 2p/ml to 5p/ml UP 250%!

Whilst they Colgate are free to change the size of their products and charge whatever they like, they are not free to deliberately deceive by keeping the box size the same!
It is easily possible to put a full 125ml tube of Colgate Total in the 75ml box. Furthermore the current size of the tube is little more than what most reasonable people would consider to be a "sample" size.

I have used Colgate toothpaste all of my life as have all my family. This now ends. This US company's sheer greed in pursuit of ever-increasing profit via the active policy and use of what can only be described as "theft by deception" means they have lost a lifetime customer forever. I will no longer allow any Colgate Palmolive products in my home!

Colgate Palmolive are breaching the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPRs) and the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008 (BPRs). A business is carrying out a "misleading action" if information it gives "in anyway deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer"
I have made an official complaint to my local Trading Standards office.

In addition, I have begun an online and social media campaign to warn others of their diabolical trading techniques and hopefully others will also decide enough is enough. BBC Watchdog have been informed!

I would ask that everyone please circulate this to as many people as possible and stop buying any Colgate Palmolive products.
Have you approached Colgate with your concerns ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:40 PM

3 for 3 offer! You was definitely robbed!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tessa ->
3 for 3 offer! You was definitely robbed!
lol!:-d
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 02:04 PM

I tend to go with own brands or look out for which is cheapest, as I only use pea sized amount,so hardly affects me what I use. Unlike a certain party who has lived by my side for 44 years and gets toothpaste in every conceivable place .and all over the towels .Could crown him sometimes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 02:47 PM

A very informative post Elbee and here's another family who won't be using Colgate again. Is there no end to the greed of these once reputable companies? Sly mangy tactics like you outlined are nothing short of robbery by deception and the trading standards authorities should act immediately on this disgraceful behavior of robbing the public and trying to make idiots out of them at the same time. I wish you all the luck in you efforts to have this brought to the attention of as many people as possible, thanks for bringing it to mine.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 06:06 PM

I use an Aloe Vera herbal toothpaste, so it don't effect me.
Crafty old wotsits though, aint they.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 06:59 PM

I always buy the cheapest "good " brand when theyre on offer and im sure the last tube of toothpaste I bought was a colgate one for 95p at my local Tescos
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2015, 07:23 PM

Anyone who pays £3.79 for a tube of Colgate toothpaste is shopping in the wrong place, try Home Bargains or B&M, it's only £1 there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top