Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Re: Pedometer anyone..

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I bought one for about £6 and its a clock and a pedometer it asks you to put in your weight and height so that your stride can be worked out and then you can adjust it as you gain or loose weight. You can also choose steps or KM its by cresta..

The cheaper ones can be as much as 30% off because they dont measure the stride and joggleing or jiggng about can cause a false reading.

With work and walking the dogs I make 10,000 about 5 days out of 7..
You would be surprised how much going to a garden center or a market clocks up though..I now use it to keep track of how far the dogs have walked too the best walk for them is if I do about 3,000 steps thats not too long for them so we can go to various places and yet keep their exersize fairly standard..
That's interesting Cass , I don't really want an 'all singing all dancing' job that tells me how much I eat and breath just how much I walk. By my own calculations I know I walk over a mile a day in the fields and I am being conservative.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Hi ruthio, its a tanita 3axes,bought it in either argos or boots for about £20.
Carol,not sure how it works but it does !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Thanks cinnamon and Meg, I reckon that one'll do me
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2015, 11:53 PM

I had one a few years back, but couldn't get on with it, it's probably still at the back of the drawer somewhere now.

I found it difficult to work out my pace first, then it only worked on flat level ground, it wouldn't register if I walked across a field or rough ground. I assume because your pace alters completely from pavements to fields.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I had one a few years back, but couldn't get on with it, it's probably still at the back of the drawer somewhere now.

I found it difficult to work out my pace first, then it only worked on flat level ground, it wouldn't register if I walked across a field or rough ground. I assume because your pace alters completely from pavements to fields.
Ooops if that is the case I am sunk Mups it's all hills and fields here
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ooops if that is the case I am sunk Mups it's all hills and fields here

Don't give up Meg, I expect there's much better ones out nowadays. Although I can sort of understand that if you set it for one pace and then your pace changes alot, it might throw the results out wrong.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 01:58 AM

I've had a FitBit Flex for two years. FitBit makes a bunch of different devices depending how elaborate you want to get. The Flex is a simple wrist bracelet. I've learned to put it on with my glasses in the morning. It tracks sleep if you want. I sleep fitfully and medicated so I take it off at night. The Flex is low tech, just keep it charged every few days. I'm on my feet at work, then I walk the pups at night. Between both I make my step goal pretty easy most days. They have good customer service support too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:55 AM

If you carry a smartphone while travelling the distances, then installing MapMyRun might be an option. I have used it for measuring the distances of the walks and bike rides I do.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:57 AM

Our local council started organising 'Health Walks' a few years ago. They are very good as you can choose between easy short walks or longer more difficult ones. They gave pedometers to all who signed up - but - the were so complicated to use - you had to input your age, weight, height, how many teeth your grandma had - plus they only did kilometers - not miles.

Mine is probably still at the back of the 'these will be useful one day' drawer in the kitchen.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-08-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by opheila ->
I've had a FitBit Flex for two years. FitBit makes a bunch of different devices depending how elaborate you want to get. The Flex is a simple wrist bracelet. I've learned to put it on with my glasses in the morning. It tracks sleep if you want. I sleep fitfully and medicated so I take it off at night. The Flex is low tech, just keep it charged every few days. I'm on my feet at work, then I walk the pups at night. Between both I make my step goal pretty easy most days. They have good customer service support too.
My son purchased one of those for all his staff members because they spend a lot of time sitting down. There was a competition each week to see who had taken the most exercise I think the initial enthusiasm has waned.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top