Join for free
Page 102 of 370 « First < 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:33 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Now I know you all have been wondering...

Has Surfermom stopped running? Has she given up exercise in favor of lying in bed all day having given into the "not flu" and eating chocolate eclairs for the rest of her life? Has she spiraled into some January depression and run off to the Seychelles to work on her tan?

No? You haven't wondered?

Well, I will bore the forum anyway, if for no other reason that to add to the thread and post count. Far be it from me to not do my part.

Both Florida and I have recovered from the cold and are enjoying some sun and temperatures reaching that of "room temperature." I am testing out a new model of shoe today, which the runners on the forum will understand as something akin to buying a new car. It's critical to transportation, it's a long commitment, and it's ridiculously expensive. So here we go.

Running after a few days off is a lot like getting on the scales after a long holiday. You know it's going to be bad, but sooner or later you face the music. After a few yards I was fast off the mark, but could tell that this dumb cold had had it's way with my stamina. Even so, I felt light, and the shoes were doing their job in providing stability giving me none of the hot spots that can happen with new shoes. With the minor goal of not causing a relapse into pneumonia, huffing and, too soon, grasping for breath, I backed of my speed and opted for distance.

Although pitiful by OGF's standards, and probably leaving Floydy tsking me at my sluggish pace, I managed a decent five miles going round the track at the sportsplex. Though going in ovals is not generally my idea of fun, the soft track surface was quite forgiving and allowed me the option to bail out at any time. I could see my car out of the corner of my eye beckoning an early exit - which I did, but at a distance and pace that didn't leave me slinking home in total embarrassment.

Sort of .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Hi Surfermom (and Bob too, the other day)
Pleased to see you're both keeping up with the running. I'm as guilty as you for not posting. In fact, I've had nothing to post as I haven't been training for well over a week. Other things crop up, and as I've mentioned on another thread I get those winter blues and get stuck in a rut.
Tomorrow I'm definitely going to make amends and get myself to that gym.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Hi

I am nowhere near as fit as you three.

My running days stopped 30 years ago, due to having my leg torn apart, I will never run again.

I was bench pressing 140 kilos until my heart surgery, now I am limited to lifting 40 kilos.

My fitness has seriously deteriorated following my spinal abscess and subsequent hospital acquired infection.

I am starting out from base, I have a modified cycle machine, only uses one leg.

The most I can manage is six minutes, but I am now up to 12 six minute periods a day, my aim is twenty.

I have a small home workout apparatus, it is quite good, got it for £50 from someone who spent a lot more on it and never used it.

I use it three times a day now, my aim is 5 times a day.

I have programmed my new smartwatch, sit in front of the laptop or TV and I get an alarm every 20 minutes, get up and walk around.

I an starting to lose weight and gaining muscle tone.

I am also losing my midriff.

My aim is to get back in my kevlar trousers I kept when I left work.

I will get there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:54 AM

That's brilliant Swimmy, It's hard to keep a good man down....
But remember that exercise is relative, having a mounting to climb requires the same effort whatever your level of fitness, so well done and keep us posted of your progress.....

I've been having a bitch of a run just lately but Mrs Fox is waiting for me take her shopping so I'll catch up later....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Swimmy,
I ditto what Bob says with this mate. It sounds like you've been through all sorts of hellish problems with your health and fitness. My apologies for being rather ignorant of your plight bud.

What is good, in fact great, is that you're making a determined effort to get yourself back to a reasonable level of fitness. Others would crumble and fall apart with your ailments and simply give up. It does make me think about my trite negative comments about my own training when I read tales such as yours.

All I can say bud is take care of yourself, keep the lifting going, even just walking around is well worth getting off the sofa for. I love the sound of the modified weight machine too. Please keep us up to speed with your progress in here, Swims as I'm sure you can inspire others with similar issues to see if they can improve their general way of life with even a small amount of exercise.

All the best pal
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-01-2018, 04:35 PM

…On the other hand, sorry to be negative with my own write-up here but I’m not in a good place. The forum antics aside, I’m just not feeling it anymore with my training right now. I know I have a problem with the seasonal gloom and I’m sure that will pass and I’ll be back to my usual self again, but for now I just can’t be bothered with very much. I am sick and tired of working nights as I have no time to do anything constructive. I just hope I can stick it out for the remaining two years until I’m in a position to move back into a normal way of life again.

I made my return to the gym this afternoon but the effort wasn’t there, nothing felt like it was going right, so I ditched the planned routine which I’m not even going to log here, and started again to settle for a very quick catch-up of fifteen exercises at one set each using light weights. However, I soon got into this very fundamental effort and we’ll see if it’s laid any foundations for a proper return.

Wednesday 24 Jan 18

Bench:
30x40

DB press, incline bench:
12x22’s

Pec dec:
26x40

Delt fly, fwd. pull:
32x50

Incline chest press:
12x40

Single DB bench raise:
30x40

Shoulder press:
12x50

Tricep extensions:
25x40

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
25x40

Lat pulldown, c/g underarm:
15x40

Machine curls:
16x30

DB hammer curl, alt.:
6x16

DB concentration curl, alt.:
6x16

E-Z preacher curl:
20x18

Ab crunch:
30x45

Time: 35 mins.

Next time I visit the gym which will be tomorrow or Friday depending on other tasks I have at home, I’ll be making a return to some decent leg work. I must say that my knees have been feeling much better with hardly any problems of late. What that means exactly, I have no idea. Perhaps it isn’t arthritis after all. Very strange!

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Swimmy, it's no joke to say that you are clearly one of the toughest and most resilent people on this forum. You and Guy must have been chisled from the same oak! Your improvement is sixfold, which is more accomplished than all of us put together.

As for the Kevlar pants, that is a term for which we are unfamiliar with over here. Are we talking tight-leather-looking-rock-and-roll pants? I retired (as yet another form of duty for my community and country) my Go Go boots and mini skirts long ago .

Seriously though, you wrote, "I will get there." There isn't a doubt of this in my mind! So glad you are keeping us posted on your efforts.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

24-01-2018, 09:03 PM

Hi, Floydy, my name is Surfermom and I will be your spotter today....

Really pleased to hear your knees are behaving, Floydy. Do you think it might be due to not going as heavy on your leg work? Or a little recovery, perhaps?

You are doing incredibly well pushing through your January-itis by keeping a foundation..but what are your goals? Something to look forward to if you achieve them? What about posting them here? I have my eye on a new technical bikini but I am not getting it if I don't tone up the mush of the holidays and my recent cold by March 1. I'm adding speedwork three times a week, and nightly ab work in front of the TV. No TV if I am not doing some sort of stretching or exercise. No fried food, no bread . There. Now I have made my commitment cyber-stone, I will have to live up to them or take a walk of shame here on the forum .

Your are having a drought of happy chemicals. It happens to all of us this time of year because the weather and other obligations. Don't be so hard on yourself - but yes, yes DO be hard on yourself when it comes to getting to the gym. Get sleep too. Are you really getting enough?

Two years you can do, and then you have a world of things to look forward to with your wife and family. How great is that going to be!

Cheers and endorphins!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

25-01-2018, 06:22 AM

Lol! "Surfermom the Spotter"! I like that What a great post - I'm becoming more and more certain that you know me more than I know myself. Especially in my training goals and where I should be heading towards. I'm frequently at a loss these days!

My goals up until a few years ago were to feel good and look good, both traits I achieved with relative success. Over 25 years I became strong, fit and defined and kept the belly flab at a minimum. Sadly, night work put an end to all that. It was okay to begin with but age creeps up and sleep deprivation took hold. Sleep is controllable. I get around 5 hours in the morning plus two before I go into work. But with me being on my feet all night, and the added work at the gym it does take its toll.

But I just had to slow down since reaching 50 and it's hard to succumb to those knockbacks when you've trained virtually all one's adult life. Ho hum, I shall carry on at a reduced pace for fitness, enjoyment and because it's "what I do".

My knee situation is strange and I get can't get my head around it. The x-ray said it was clear, but then why could I hardly walk? You mention that it could be over-exertion and I do feel it worse when I squat (crouch) down. My hamstrings and inner quads do have a lot of development and perhaps all that muscle has somehow pushed my knees out of joint. It's possible. I'll do some light reps on them today and see if things feel better or worse in a couple of days' time (when the DOMS kick in!).

Hope you're feeling better yourself though, Surfermom, and thanks again for your excellent advice
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Swimmy, it's no joke to say that you are clearly one of the toughest and most resilent people on this forum. You and Guy must have been chisled from the same oak! Your improvement is sixfold, which is more accomplished than all of us put together.

As for the Kevlar pants, that is a term for which we are unfamiliar with over here. Are we talking tight-leather-looking-rock-and-roll pants? I retired (as yet another form of duty for my community and country) my Go Go boots and mini skirts long ago .

Seriously though, you wrote, "I will get there." There isn't a doubt of this in my mind! So glad you are keeping us posted on your efforts.
Hi

I think you call them Tactical Trousers, standard issue for all kinds of Enforcement Officers.

They are waterproof, flameproof up to 500 C, slash and cut resistant.

The ones I have have extra armour on the thighs and knees.

Great if you ever fancy getting in a bar fight Surfermom,

Page 102 of 370 « First < 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top