Join for free
Page 12 of 370 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 04:13 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by mart ->
Well done ruthio. I'd certainly drown if I tried that. I didn't learn to enjoy the water early in life when others did and so have never been happy when out of my depth. I have to do the 'fitness' bit on dry land instead. That's OK but I often wish I had become a better swimmer.

I walked 7 miles at a brisk pace yesterday. This was to and from the hospital, so there was the break of the appointment time at the halfway mark. A cycle ride is planned for today, probably about 12 miles. Some of it will be off-road.
Thanks mart, I don't think I'm a particularly strong swimmer but I do have good lungs and breath control (from many years of choral singing) which I think is the reason I can keep going. I only ever do half an hour, so I use this thread as a kind of blog...had to look back and see that I began at only 16 lengths not that long ago.

I was laid up last year for months on and off with a series of quite large skin grafts to my leg, and before that it had been several years since I'd been in a pool...But I couldn't walk for more than a few miles, certainly not as far as you!
It's so interesting how different we all are!

But the months of healing last year made me so painfully (literally) aware of how quickly we lose our mobility and stamina after an accident or surgery, and I'm determined to get it back!
This thread is a real encouragement for me.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Nice walking area OGF, closest I have been to Hull is a place called Winterton, far side of the Humber, you can see the Humber Bridge from there, must get me one of them watches, pedometers aren't accurate enough.
Yes I know Winterton well Spitty. I used to work just up the road on the outskirts of S****horpe and one of the fitters lived in Winterton. He had a passion for Range Rovers and did them up in his spare time. He was good company too. Did you visit 'Juliens Bower' it's not far and it's kind of a mystical place complete with stone circle, it also affords brilliant views over the convergence of the rivers Trent and Ouse.

I've never been happy with pedometers either Spitty. Being the pedantic bloke that I am, I had to accurately measure all of my running courses. I did this using my bike computer, but difficulties arose when measuring off road routes - I've had more than one flat tyre while struggling over stiles and through hedgerows with my road bike.
Then I invested in a Garmin GPS watch. Surprisingly, most of my courses were less than a couple of tenths out, and it comes into it's own when on holiday. You can download all of the data on to a computer and it gives distance, pace, altitude, and a myriad of other information. It even downloads a map, but I must admit, the're not very good. When I first acquired it I joined the Garmin Connect site and the maps were brilliant, but as new models came out they stopped supporting it and I couldn't access it on Google Chrome either. But it's still a useful companion on a Walk/Run or Bike ride.

PS:- have you seen what they've done to that large town in Humberside that starts with an S? Must have thought it was a swear word......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 11:29 AM

Turned out to be very humid this morning on my Sunday morning 8.2 mile run. Because the air is so full of moisture sweat that should carry away excessive heat will not evaporate. The result is arriving home soaking wet and dehydrated.
Having said that, it was nice to be running down deserted country roads in the early morning, and I managed to get a lot of thinking done with the sounds of nature clucking, singing and rustling all around me. I managed a couple of half hearted attempts at upping the speed here and there but it was like flogging a dead horse, so I dropped back into a comfortable pace for the last couple of miles.
Let Sunday Begin!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks mart, I don't think I'm a particularly strong swimmer but I do have good lungs and breath control (from many years of choral singing) which I think is the reason I can keep going. I only ever do half an hour, so I use this thread as a kind of blog...had to look back and see that I began at only 16 lengths not that long ago.

I was laid up last year for months on and off with a series of quite large skin grafts to my leg, and before that it had been several years since I'd been in a pool...But I couldn't walk for more than a few miles, certainly not as far as you!
It's so interesting how different we all are!

But the months of healing last year made me so painfully (literally) aware of how quickly we lose our mobility and stamina after an accident or surgery, and I'm determined to get it back!
This thread is a real encouragement for me.
You have done really well to make the come back! I once had a leg entirely encased in plaster for six weeks (broken kneecap). When the plater was removed, all of the muscle had wasted away. In view of that, I can kind of imagine the work you have had to do to get back to fitness after months of not being able to exercise. I'm impressed.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 05:03 PM

I did an extra long walk today--one of my dogs is nearly blind now, and just started getting her out for a few walks as she would not go before--today I decided to take both dogs out together for the first time in ages. I decvided on a circular walk--and we were more than 3/4 of the way round when Chloe--{who cant see] decided she did not want to go ny further--after a few minutes of gentle persuasion, she turned round and we retraced our steps--so a much longer walk than i thought---in the rain--but I think it did all 3 of us good. Not particularly energetic--you know what dogs are like--sniff at every interesting spot !!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 05:22 PM

That's impressive mariana! I imagine that's a bit like taking a toddler out, it's actually very tiring to keep stopping! And I admire you for your dedication, I hate walking in the rain!
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
That's impressive mariana! I imagine that's a bit like taking a toddler out, it's actually very tiring to keep stopping! And I admire you for your dedication, I hate walking in the rain!
Well, i confess-i prefer walking alone-can go much quicker---but the dogs love their walks--they do not mind the rain--
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 05:08 PM

I'm def getting fitter and lighter on my feet. Ran hard last night with lots of short reps - 30 second efforts with pyramid rests (varied rest period) - over a distance of 6 miles.

This morning I have been out and carried out another speed session over 6 miles with 1 min efforts with 1 min recovery between each, then after 4 of these 3x 2 min efforts with 2 min rest between each and back down / up etc.

Tonight I will jog for 5-6 miles easy.

Starting to feel good .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-06-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I'm def getting fitter and lighter on my feet. Ran hard last night with lots of short reps - 30 second efforts with pyramid rests (varied rest period) - over a distance of 6 miles.

This morning I have been out and carried out another speed session over 6 miles with 1 min efforts with 1 min recovery between each, then after 4 of these 3x 2 min efforts with 2 min rest between each and back down / up etc.

Tonight I will jog for 5-6 miles easy.

Starting to feel good .
That's a punishing regime Mark, too much for me.
I used to do pyramids down at the club, but only once a week, and I was much younger then. Did get some good results though.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's a punishing regime Mark, too much for me.
I used to do pyramids down at the club, but only once a week, and I was much younger then. Did get some good results though.
Way too much for me too I should think. Going to push myself to the limit to see what happens. Body and joints feel good and I've shifted a fair bit of weight. As for how much weight I've lost I will weigh at the end of the month to see. I'm interested to see what will happen if I keep it up. Consistency is the key really Will be watching for aches and pains along the way. First goal to achieve is to break 20 mins in the local 5km Park Run.

Page 12 of 370 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top