Join for free
Page 52 of 370 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:48 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
In my mid-twenties I did parachuting at a local club for a couple of years, and loved it. No way would I do it now! Not only do I not have the belief I'd live forever, like I did when I was young, but my knees just couldn't take the strain of the landings. It was a buzz though, even though jumping at 4,000 feet was the highest I ever got. I'd have loved a real skydive but it took a lot of jumps to get the qualifications to do that.
I can imagine parachuting and skydiving (with horror) but the thought of climbing up a telegraph pole, then having to balance on the top and leaping off to catch a trapeze is just .... eeeeeek.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 03:25 PM

Grrrr, I hate it in the Over 50's gym when people just sit on their backsides on the machines as they chat away to each other. Honestly, if they want to chat GET OFF THE MACHINES!!

/rant over
Had to go at 9am again today and a different bunch of Nattering Niners was there today, all men this time. I was watching them in action - more like inaction! - and one guy talking nineteen to the dozen was doing one rep at a time on a machine... but taking 5 seconds to do one rep! It was like watching him in Slow-Mo. What the hell use is that to him? He's neither going to improve cardio or his strength with that waste of time. He may as well have been turning pages in a book.

Another guy on the pec machine did a set in the same slow manner as the other guy, then simply sat there on the pec machine just blathering on, doing no exercise whatsoever. Eventually I had to ask him if he was done, at which point he said yes and quickly vacated the machine, but if I hadn't asked him he'd still be sitting there, droning on.

There is such a thing as Unwritten Gym Etiquette!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Had to go at 9am again today and a different bunch of Nattering Niners was there today, all men this time. I was watching them in action - more like inaction! - and one guy talking nineteen to the dozen was doing one rep at a time on a machine... but taking 5 seconds to do one rep! It was like watching him in Slow-Mo. What the hell use is that to him? He's neither going to improve cardio or his strength with that waste of time. He may as well have been turning pages in a book.

Another guy on the pec machine did a set in the same slow manner as the other guy, then simply sat there on the pec machine just blathering on, doing no exercise whatsoever. Eventually I had to ask him if he was done, at which point he said yes and quickly vacated the machine, but if I hadn't asked him he'd still be sitting there, droning on.

There is such a thing as Unwritten Gym Etiquette!!
Very true bud.
These folk who do these almighty slow and laborious reps obviously do not know how to lift weights properly, unless they do so many of these (if closing time permits) that they reach 'failure point' and add another rep or two. The same can be achieved by going hammer and tongs by doing some very high reps with light weights and again, add those couple of extra reps - if these guys' prerogatives are to build size on muscle that is. Otherwise, they are simply wasting a huge amount of effort by getting absolutely nowhere.
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 06:50 PM

I definitely agree with you, Floydy, especially given that these are hydraulic resistance machines that don't use actual weights. You need to move them fast and do a lot of them to get any kind of "burn" going. Utter waste of their time. If they didn't hog the machines I'd just ignore them, but they just block people who want to crack on and do some work.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 06:56 PM

I definitely agree with you, Floydy, especially given that these are hydraulic resistance machines that don't use actual weights. You need to move them fast and do a lot of them to get any kind of "burn" going. Utter waste of their time. If they didn't hog the machines I'd just ignore them, but they just block people who want to crack on and do some work.
Ask them "Have you got many sets left...this is my last exercise."
Usually works and they move on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Aren't gyms also a place where members can also enjoy the social side of meetings. As long as they politely move aside when the serious bodybuilders need to use the equipment, I don't see a problem.

Surely, getting 'hot under the collar' defeats the object of keeping the body in good shape, it only adds to stress.....And that's no good for anybody.....Practice a bit of tolerance...Perhaps Yoga might do you more good...
Tachyon

18-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Aren't gyms also a place where members can also enjoy the social side of meetings. As long as they politely move aside when the serious bodybuilders need to use the equipment, I don't see a problem.
They're not. Unless you ask them they'll sit for as long as they like, and in the past people have asked them politely to move and get an earful in return. Also, you can talk AND exercise at the same time.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 01:08 PM

6 miles this morning and a lot stronger with less leg and back pain too. I really have to lose weight now - time to shake off my belly. Hopefully I will be recovered enough to try another 3-4 miles this evening.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Been out for a run tonight, could only manage 25 mins this time again. Think I am bored with the same route.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
Been out for a run tonight, could only manage 25 mins this time again. Think I am bored with the same route.
You are not on a sight seeing trip Cedronella, it's about putting in the effort...........only joking......Well done.

Page 52 of 370 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top