Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Re: No Motivation to Exercise

I'm sorry to have hijacked Chris's (Playtheman's) post, but when I heard about Mark proposing to run the Snowdon Marathon I felt I had to reply with my experience.
Despite the hardships it was one of the best Marathons I have run and if you can run twenty six miles as Mark has done in the past (in excellent times might I add) you must run this one, it's brilliant.

As for exercising to lose weight, I think it is a non starter. Perhaps in the short term.
I weigh in at around ten and a half stone and have been a long distance runner for almost forty years. During my time as a Marathon and fell runner I was nine and a half stone but as age advanced and running declined I added a stone. The only time I returned to nine and a half stone was when I worked as a postman, jogging round eight miles for five days and training for the remaining two days.

I have never run to lose weight or keep fit, I have always run because I love it and always will. Unless you enjoy a sport for what it is, you will never keep it up long enough to lose weight and keep it off. Losing weight is a side effect of running, not the other way round. Doing something you love is self motivating, as the advert says 'Just Do It'.

Whatever you do to lose weight remember to be patient and treat it as a long term exercise, gently gently is the way to go, losing weight rapidly is not healthy and will lower your resistance to infections and diseases.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Friends who smoke are all pretty slim even without exercise.
That's because there are nicotine receptors throughout the brain, the ones in the hypothalamus affect hunger, the nicotinic receptor located on neurons in the hypothalamussuppresses your appetite when activated by smoking.

Not a recommended way to control weight.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
That's because there are nicotine receptors throughout the brain, the ones in the hypothalamus affect hunger, the nicotinic receptor located on neurons in the hypothalamussuppresses your appetite when activated by smoking.

Not a recommended way to control weight.
That's interesting Pats .... I am most definitely NOT taking up smoking

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top