Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 11:51 PM

Re: Are you a member of a gym?

I'm not knocking it or the people who use them, but I've tried the various gym machines and they bore me witless. Each to their own I guess but I'll stick with yoga, dancing and walking everywhere.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 07:50 AM

Ewwwwww! You've all put me off the thought of returning to swimming now!

I stopped going while one pool and leisure centre was being demolished and rebuilt, presuming that all patrons would spill out into the one I go to, and the new one opens up on Monday. I could renew my over 60's swimming card: pay less than a tenner then get free swimming for the next 12 months.

Neighbour Betti said to me recently, when we viewed our new plot, she was thinking of joining a gym. I replied 'the garden is your gym!' And it does indeed give you a work out, especially as we have (or had) many weeds to pull up. The only thing it doesn't provide is a swimming pool,

Why did Bannatynes demand membership after it had run out? They can only ask for fees if a member leaves within a certain contracted time, not on renewal? Unless because they had moved out of your house, they left early? Was that the reason, do you think?

I used to be a member but don't fancy it now, even though I enjoyed their shallower part of the pool.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Never felt the need to belong to a Gym, though i did lots of specific training with weights and exercise to improve muscle groups for my hobbies.

Swimming, walking and some running and a hard days work was all i needed. So wish i could restart the first 2 but until im mended wont happen.

I will never run again.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 09:43 PM

I am considering joining a gym, as opposed to visiting my local Age UK gym which I mentioned in an earlier post. The gym is also local and charges £22 a month for membership, but it has a lot more facilities than Age UK does, which is not surprising of course.

Thankfully for men it does NOT have women-only sessions, which only serve to restrict the times men can go whilst giving woman access at any time they like! Very sexist in the 21st Century, considering I've never seen men-only sessions advertised, and it's nice to see gyms finally getting with the times at last and treating everyone as equals.

The only thing is that I currently only pay £1 per session at Age UK and what with work and family commitments I don't know if I will fancy paying £22 a month when I might not be able to get to the new gym for a week at a time. Decisions, decisions...
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 10:16 PM

I was a member of a gym for a long time, I didn't realise that you actually had to go to get that beautiful body.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by devon56 ->
I'm not knocking it or the people who use them, but I've tried the various gym machines and they bore me witless. Each to their own I guess but I'll stick with yoga, dancing and walking everywhere.

I belonged to gym until recently Andy, but I completely understand what you say about the machines being so boring, I found exactly the same. I kept going because they say it's 'good for you', but I really wasn't enjoying it one bit.

I do yoga too. I do it three times as week, and have been for about 6 years now. I do Hatha one day, then 2 more days of Pranayam yoga with the Hindu people. They made me very welcome in the early days, adn have always looked after me.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I belonged to gym until recently Andy, but I completely understand what you say about the machines being so boring, I found exactly the same.
I wear earbuds and listen to audiobooks, music or podcasts while I work out. It blocks out external distractions, too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 06:03 AM

I have never been a member of a gym and don't think I'd join one now. Walking and cycling (off-road as much as possible) are what I do.

I can see the benefits of exercising in a gym though. It's out of the weather. No traffic dangers to face, crossing roads etc. There must be a social aspect to it as well? However, I'm not sure I'd want to pay gym prices in order to gain these benefits. Charges seem quite high.

Also, if exercising in a gym, a person can stop when tired. Someone getting tired when exercising outdoors often can't do this. Getting sweaty and tired usually happens when a fair distance from home, so it's necessary to keep going. Not sure if having to go that extra mile is a good or bad thing but it does mean the exercise can't be opted out of.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I have never been a member of a gym and don't think I'd join one now. Walking and cycling (off-road as much as possible) are what I do.

I can see the benefits of exercising in a gym though. It's out of the weather. No traffic dangers to face, crossing roads etc. There must be a social aspect to it as well? However, I'm not sure I'd want to pay gym prices in order to gain these benefits. Charges seem quite high.

Also, if exercising in a gym, a person can stop when tired. Someone getting tired when exercising outdoors often can't do this. Getting sweaty and tired usually happens when a fair distance from home, so it's necessary to keep going. Not sure if having to go that extra mile is a good or bad thing but it does mean the exercise can't be opted out of.
Or one could take on a large allotment! Plenty of exercise there for me. Just walking down the paths to our plot, or behaving like a mountain goat picking my way over the wooden slats making the beds, and the uneven (unworked on) surfaces provides an excellent workout.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2016, 09:06 PM

Are you a member of a gym?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLzm-Gy0dQ

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top