Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Re: No yeast Naans or Pizza base

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Thanks for that goldielocks we do use yeast but it would be quicker not to sometimes. I also use grated cauliflower mixed with cheese as a base for pizza sometimes that is quite nice and better if you have a gluten intolerant friend.
sounds nice Julie. I tend to make a batch of naans to freeze and 2 separate pizzas. But obviously have to make the pizza from scratch. Twink has my email if you would like to chat xxx
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:04 AM

I tend to make pizza when I make bread so we have it a couple of times a month as I freeze my batch freeze my bread and rolls.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I'm quite curious as to why this recipe is touted as being "no yeast". It's a pizza base, so it is a leavened bread, i.e. it has/needs some form of leavening.

There are numerous forms of leavening which include:

Baker's Yeast
Dry Yeast Powder
Active Yeast
Sourdough Starter
Yeast Water
Baking Powder

and so on

Why would you want to use baking powder in preference to yeast or better still sourdough?
We each have our own tastes and make our own choices, but some may not be aware that, if you have a tummy bug, yeast is the worse thing you can eat because it seriously upsets the balance of good and bad bacteria in your tummy. Yeast is contained in a lot of foods so doing without it sometimes can improve the function of your digestive system.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
We each have our own tastes and make our own choices, but some may not be aware that, if you have a tummy bug, yeast is the worse thing you can eat because it seriously upsets the balance of good and bad bacteria in your tummy. Yeast is contained in a lot of foods so doing without it sometimes can improve the function of your digestive system.
I tend to do a bake on Sunday, these days I prefer simplicity and agree with your comment about yeast Twink. I just cannot be bothered with the waiting and proving. An hour is enough for me We love them and hope folk will try x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Yeast is a natural organism Twink and there is much in your statement that suggests a poor understanding of it.
To adversely upset a "balance of good and bad bacteria in your tummy" you would have to do something to increase the bad bacteria or lessen the good bacteria, either way giving the advantage to the bad bacteria. Eating forms of the yeast Saccharomyces Cerevisiae doesn't do that. In fact it has the ability to kill bad yeasts.

This yeast is a perfectly safe and natural organism and is found all over the place. It's on the skins of the fruits you eat like apples, pears, grapes, plums and so on. It's on the skins of vegetables you eat. So "demonising" bread in some way is frankly illogical.

When you have a tummy bug, then the only way you are going to recover is when the germs, bacteria or viruses that are the cause, are killed off in sufficient numbers for your normal bodily functions to resume. There are various ways to achieve this culling of those baddies. I favour the natural ways that nature provides, others may choose to trot off to the GP for synthetic "Big Pharma" remedies. Each to their own.

I can testify that I recovered fully from a bout of Norovirus in just 12 hours using natural remedies, whereas the rest of the population tends to continue suffering the rather horrible symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea for a full 48-72 hours. Each to their own.

Back to the plot.

The yeast Saccharomyces Cerevisiae has been in use for 1000s of years and is safe and beneficial. The very best yeast imo is the natural wild yeast which is found on and in wheat grains themselves and which anyone can grow and multiply simply by mixing flour with water and providing the correct ambient temperature for the yeast and LABs (Lacto-bacteria) to grow. This is the culture known as "Sourdough" or "Sourdough Starter".

Baking powder on the other hand is caught up in huge health controversies because of aluminium content and other stuff.

There is literally no point in which I would personally opt for Baking Powder instead of Yeast for any bread that I make. The only exception, would be for traditional Irish Soda Bread but I have only made that a couple of times and am no great fan of it. I see no benefit whatsoever in opting for Baking Powder over yeast and indeed there are potential adverse health risks in doing so. That is why I originally queried the original post of this thread.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
I just cannot be bothered with the waiting and proving. An hour is enough for me We love them and hope folk will try x
This is a key statement Goldielocks and is the prime reason why you & I will likely never agree on bread making issues.
Making bread requires TIME. It is absolutely crucial. Saying you can't be bothered with the waiting means you aren't bothered about making good bread. It's similar to saying:

"I love daffodils but I can't be bothered waiting all that time for them to grow from their bulbs in the ground into flowers so instead I buy plastic daffodils"

As I said in an earlier post, making bread is a skill, and an art, and when you understand it, you can make bread without spending almost any time at all.

You don't like waiting 1-2 hours for doughs to rise because it's a faff and it eats into your valuable time. It means you can't go off out and do something because you need to be there when the dough becomes ready to bake.

I totally agree and understand.

But the way people bake is the problem, not the ingredients.

Let me explain how I make a really tasty Overnight White Loaf of bread in just minutes of actual doing time.

1. I mix the 4 ingredients (Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast) in a mixer for about 5 mins and then I put the mixed dough in a Tupperware box and leave on the kitchen counter (Time is 9pm)

Time taken: 5 mins

I am now free to do whatever I want with my time and life.

Next Morning 9am

2. I tip out the well risen dough which has been fermenting 12hours whilst I have been mostly asleep, shape it into a log or boule, cover it or put it in a warm place. I also switch the oven on to full.

Time taken: 3 mins

3. I make a cup of tea and some breakfast for myself, listen to the radio etc. My time.

4. After 30mins, the dough is ready and goes into the oven to bake. Bake time approx. 30 mins but that 30 mins is required for any bread baking so is not counted.

Result, one fantastic overnight fermented white loaf.

Total "Doing" time by me = approx. 8 mins.

Total "Waiting" time by me = approx. 30 mins for final rise

Like I said there is a Huuuugggeeeee misconception out there about how good bread is made and there is an abundance of old archaic "Women's Institute" style thought-process going on in which people even now still think that you have to make bread by spending arduous hours kneading dough and waiting for it to rise in 1-2 hours in an airing cupboard, just because that's the way granny always used to make it.

The processes have long since moved on. The kneading can be done in a total of 40 seconds spread over 10 min intervals and the proofing can be done over many many hours to make a far superior end result.
Goldielocks
Spain

18-04-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This is a key statement Goldielocks and is the prime reason why you & I will likely never agree on bread making issues.
Making bread requires TIME. It is absolutely crucial. Saying you can't be bothered with the waiting means you aren't bothered about making good bread. It's similar to saying:

"I love daffodils but I can't be bothered waiting all that time for them to grow from their bulbs in the ground into flowers so instead I buy plastic daffodils"

As I said in an earlier post, making bread is a skill, and an art, and when you understand it, you can make bread without spending almost any time at all.

You don't like waiting 1-2 hours for doughs to rise because it's a faff and it eats into your valuable time. It means you can't go off out and do something because you need to be there when the dough becomes ready to bake.

I totally agree and understand.

But the way people bake is the problem, not the ingredients.

Let me explain how I make a really tasty Overnight White Loaf of bread in just minutes of actual doing time.

1. I mix the 4 ingredients (Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast) in a mixer for about 5 mins and then I put the mixed dough in a Tupperware box and leave on the kitchen counter (Time is 9pm)

Time taken: 5 mins

I am now free to do whatever I want with my time and life.

Next Morning 9am

2. I tip out the well risen dough which has been fermenting 12hours whilst I have been mostly asleep, shape it into a log or boule, cover it or put it in a warm place. I also switch the oven on to full.

Time taken: 3 mins

3. I make a cup of tea and some breakfast for myself, listen to the radio etc. My time.

4. After 30mins, the dough is ready and goes into the oven to bake. Bake time approx. 30 mins but that 30 mins is required for any bread baking so is not counted.

Result, one fantastic overnight fermented white loaf.

Total "Doing" time by me = approx. 8 mins.

Total "Waiting" time by me = approx. 30 mins for final rise

Like I said there is a Huuuugggeeeee misconception out there about how good bread is made and there is an abundance of old archaic "Women's Institute" style thought-process going on in which people even now still think that you have to make bread by spending arduous hours kneading dough and waiting for it to rise in 1-2 hours in an airing cupboard, just because that's the way granny always used to make it.

The processes have long since moved on. The kneading can be done in a total of 40 seconds spread over 10 min intervals and the proofing can be done over many many hours to make a far superior end result.
Can I ask why you feel the need to disrupt this thread. We are not in the serious forum? I actually posted a reciepe I enjoy and many of my friends enjoy.

Your word to me on both my recipes were "it is not a criticism". Quite clearly you were looking to do just that. Why disrupt a recipe forum?

I posted these recipes with good intent. If you are not keen just move on.

I also never professed to being a bread maker just an every day cook. This recipe was given to me by an Indian chef who is a friend. Authentic naans are made this way in parts of India.

I feel your lecturing tone is uncalled for
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Thanks Goldilocks will give it a try for a quick Naan ...
... with the addition of a little coriander and garlic
Goldielocks
Spain

18-04-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thanks Goldilocks will give it a try for a quick Naan ...
... with the addition of a little coriander and garlic
Very delicious Meg x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

18-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Can I ask why you feel the need to disrupt this thread. We are not in the serious forum?
Discussion is not disruption. It's the open expression of views which enables us to learn and acquire varied knowledge. This site is first and foremost a discussion site. If you prefer a place where you can post your own material unchallenged or un-discussed then perhaps a personal blog would be a better option.

I actually posted a reciepe I enjoy and many of my friends enjoy.
No problem with that though you might want to note the "Sticky" thread at the top of this forum section entitled "Recipes" which is the better place to post . . . well . . . recipes !

The more general "Food and Drink" section is where we mull over matters pertaining to food and drink.

Your word to me on both my recipes were "it is not a criticism". Quite clearly you were looking to do just that. Why disrupt a recipe forum?
Nope wrong on both counts. I said before it was not criticism, I was interested in why you were promoting specifically a "No Yeast" recipe for something that usually has yeast. And again it's not a recipe forum. It's a "Food and Drink" section of the forum which has a special "Sticky" thread for recipes clearly visible at the top.

I posted these recipes with good intent. If you are not keen just move on.
I haven't said I am not keen nor indeed that I am keen. I have simply entered some discussion about the yeast issue. Nothing wrong in that as far as I can see.

I feel your lecturing tone is uncalled for
I'm not lecturing but I was always taught to debate from a position of fact/strength. Bread is an area I know a lot about. So my posts are likely to contain detailed information which may, to the overly defensive, appear as lecturing, whereas to others it will appear as useful information that might lead them towards further research.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do and again there is no criticism made here on my part. Take some time to familiarise yourself with the forum structure and keep posting the recipes. ATB

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top