Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 11:54 PM

Re: Any special skills?

No but I have all the gear and no idea.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I first picked up a guitar when I was five. I'd never seen one before,let alone tried to play one. It was my first day in that particular children's home. I knew nobody,so as the breakfast chaos took hold,[there were LOADS of kids there]I sat on the stairs leading to the dining room. There was an acoustic guitar on the third step, which I picked up,put across my lap,started playing. I suddenly looked up and there were four grown-ups glaring at me. One said-in a most stentorian fashion-'BOY-WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO PLAY THE GUITAR?!?" I-being new at the whole concept of children homes,said truthfully "Don't be bloody stupid-I'm from the Shetland Islands and I'm only five!"....my very first interaction AND introduction to the British mainland, was being caned in front of that whole home...children and all grown-ups were present as I received a 'bloody good hiding'' [his words] on the school stage in front of ALL of 'em. At which point I made my decision-even though I was just five y/o. Consequently,I took a music degree in 'musical construction & interpretation',played with many famous names in recording studios-and own 11 guitars of differing types,from 12-string acoustic to 6-string fretless bass and I love and use 'em all. So I owe thanks to Ted Eden,the man who thrashed me with a cane [which he broke on my back] on my very first morning on mainland Britain,making sure every single person in that home witnessed it. Without his short temper and tendency toward violence causing that incident,I'd never even have thought of becoming a musician. It was some years-and several homes-later,I was informed the whole situation happened because the guitar I picked up was a standard right-handed guitar...and I was playing it left-handed,as if I'd played it for years. I have NO idea how or why I could play a guitar, without ever having learned chords or placings or tunings,etc...it was just 'in' me,the way artistry is just 'in' some of the greatest poets, painters,so forth. [I'll shut up now...sorry]
Pug, what a beautiful, heartwarming story this is. I just read it through twice. Sorry I missed it before, but I was sick for a few days and didn't get around to reading all the posts......

My heart broke for you getting a thrashing in front of everyone, and I could identify as I got the strap from a female teacher when I was a little girl. She seemed to just hate me for some reason, and I was such a little girl and I didn't deserved to be hurt like that......

Funny thing, reading this...reminded me of when I played guitar (acoustic)....I don't anymore tho....but there was a day when I would love to party and play the guitar....

Thanks again Pug, for sharing this wonderful story, and I hope you see this reply, I would hate you to think I ignored you. I was just too sick to get around to all of it........

Blue x
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was top backgammon player in the UK for just one week about 2 months ago....I was so pleased with myself. It was short lived though I slipped down the rankings pretty quickly to a miserable 67th at my worst....oh well I keep trying.
Hey, that is really something to be proud of Summer, good on you.......
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:56 AM

I play piano but so out of practice these days
I write poetry
I can ice skate and tap dance but not all at once
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hey, that is really something to be proud of Summer, good on you.......
Thanks Blue but actually the really good top players are not British it's not a game played intensively here. In the world rankings I would be nowhere to be seen

Keeps me out of mischief though
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

28-10-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I play piano but so out of practice these days
I write poetry
I can ice skate and tap dance but not all at once
Lion, I also tap danced when I was young. Also toe ballet.
Love ice skating and poetry......

Wish I could play the piano, but I can't....

I think I have read some of your lovely poems....

Good on you Lion......
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

28-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Thanks Blue but actually the really good top players are not British it's not a game played intensively here. In the world rankings I would be nowhere to be seen

Keeps me out of mischief though
But still Summer.......be proud. A lot of people can't do what you do....congratulations.....

Blue x
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I first picked up a guitar when I was five. I'd never seen one before,let alone tried to play one. It was my first day in that particular children's home. I knew nobody,so as the breakfast chaos took hold,[there were LOADS of kids there]I sat on the stairs leading to the dining room. There was an acoustic guitar on the third step, which I picked up,put across my lap,started playing. I suddenly looked up and there were four grown-ups glaring at me. One said-in a most stentorian fashion-'BOY-WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO PLAY THE GUITAR?!?" I-being new at the whole concept of children homes,said truthfully "Don't be bloody stupid-I'm from the Shetland Islands and I'm only five!"....my very first interaction AND introduction to the British mainland, was being caned in front of that whole home...children and all grown-ups were present as I received a 'bloody good hiding'' [his words] on the school stage in front of ALL of 'em. At which point I made my decision-even though I was just five y/o. Consequently,I took a music degree in 'musical construction & interpretation',played with many famous names in recording studios-and own 11 guitars of differing types,from 12-string acoustic to 6-string fretless bass and I love and use 'em all. So I owe thanks to Ted Eden,the man who thrashed me with a cane [which he broke on my back] on my very first morning on mainland Britain,making sure every single person in that home witnessed it. Without his short temper and tendency toward violence causing that incident,I'd never even have thought of becoming a musician. It was some years-and several homes-later,I was informed the whole situation happened because the guitar I picked up was a standard right-handed guitar...and I was playing it left-handed,as if I'd played it for years. I have NO idea how or why I could play a guitar, without ever having learned chords or placings or tunings,etc...it was just 'in' me,the way artistry is just 'in' some of the greatest poets, painters,so forth. [I'll shut up now...sorry]
Lovely story Pug.

I was taught violin from my early teens. Classical, played in the county orchestra and in a Scottish dance band.

Later, probably in my early 20s I was given an acoustic guitar. I could read music and learned a few pieces including this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tEd16aBCY

I played my children to sleep with that lovely piece.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 02:50 PM

I am a digital artist, poet, writer and creator of glitter stones. People have kindly said they like my work. My artwork has sold quite well, and I have had some of my writing published. As I have said before, I get more pleasure creating a piece of artwork for free just to make someone happy, than taking money for it. People in many countries in the world have my artwork, including some household names.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top