Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:17 PM

Charities!

Today I have received 9 Charity letters asking for donations, and two plastic sacks to fill. and one phone call from a Charity have never heard of.

I do support three Charities monthly, and the local Charity Shops as well which is quite enough.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:30 PM

Re: Charities!

I have 4 plastic sacks here & they never collect them, but I'd not fill them anyway because they are doing it for profit & hardly any money goes to the charity.
I have had 3 charity letters so far also, all shredded.
And one cold caller who didn't stay long, though he was quite pleasant.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have 4 plastic sacks here & they never collect them, but I'd not fill them anyway because they are doing it for profit & hardly any money goes to the charity.
YesTiffany that is true about the money collected.
Charities are run as big business and have £millons in the bank
The Directors and Managers get huge salaries, and volunteers get Tea and biscuits.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Those plastic sack people get away with it collecting clothing, because they say they give to the charity, but in fact it's very little they give. On the sleeves it usually says how much goes to the charity. I won't give to them. Some charity shops do take unsaleable clothing as they get money if it goes for rags.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 07:36 AM

I never give money to charity if it means they end up knowing my address or phone number. They pass the details on to each other and you end up pestered to death. I'll put money in tins or collection boxes and I donate time to one local charity, but no standing orders.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:29 AM

We recieve very few donation requests mainly because we send them all back if they do send them to us. We try to support the local hospice as they were lovely to my Dad, we do a lot for a local small dog rescue, and we spend a lot of time helping a charity deals with a medical condition my husband has, they run an advice forum and we both spend hours every week helping youngsters that are newly diagnosed. That and the food bank. I feel we do our bit really. Nathan also fund raises for a local premature baby charity, he doesnt have a huge amount of money himself to give so he gives a few hours a month doing runs and sitting in baths of baked beans etc, climbing a wall this weekend hoping to bring in some funds.

I am always suspicious of charities only want money.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:36 AM

What can they do without money?
They have to ask .
I have loads of junk mail from them too.
I support mine by direct debit do I don't feel bad about tearing up requests but do feel bad about the waste of paper and resources .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:43 AM

A lot but I wasnt saying they shouldn't have money just it's odd when that's all they want.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Some of the "charity" bags don't even have a charity number, I take most of my unwanted items to the little "Prickles" shop, for a hedgehog charity.
I knit dog jumpers for whichever dog charity asks.
I buy stuff from the charity shops but I rarely donate money.
My eldest worked in a charity shop and the owners didn't treat the staff very well, mostly volunteers, they bought their daughter a very expensive house which put me off some charities.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
There should be a law against this, if there isn't already.

And charity fundraisers should stick to the corporates, not individuals at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top