Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 04:15 AM

Taking a break from social media

As someone who enjoys conversation and discussion on forums such as these, do you tire of the social media "way of life" on occasion.
Have you ever taken a break from a particular forum and what were your reasons for doing so?:

The basic need for change?
Reverting to 'real life' conversation with actual people?
Perhaps you were disillusioned with certain aspects of your forum?
And if you returned to said forum, why did you do so?

I have had a few tries at leaving a forum but something keeps me posting.
I may be close again.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 05:34 AM

Re: Taking a break from social media

I've used online forums since the late 80's, before the Internet, and never gone off them completely. I do have phases when I don't post much on a forum for a few weeks or months, if I think they are getting a bit stale.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:37 AM

This ain't really social media, is it?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:40 AM

I've no need to take a break from it. I don't use my mobile for chit chats with friends, I just pop in and out of a couple of forums and don't get involved in long conversations and don't have any on-line friends. I can see how it can all get a bit addictive though, if you're that way inclined.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:43 AM

Same here Eccles, life's too short.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
This ain't really social media, is it?
What is it then?
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:46 AM

I believe the reason to be is called progress Floydy.
Forums were a good way to connect in the old days with the outside world.
You could have a good banter with various members and they would go into depth with their posts.

These days however there is nowt worse than just smiley faces posts and one liners that a lot of members do (not just on this forum) and its all because they are posting on their mobiles and i.pods and other miniature machines that they carry about on their person.
They don't sit down anymore and think about what they are writing because they are either out and about shopping or out for the night on the town even exercising in the gym some of them. Or at work on a quick break or even travelling.
Yes progress as screwed up forums in my opinion.
Its a pity that words have been taken over by smileys and silly pictures.
I to have my moments when I wonder why the **** am I a member of a forum these days.
Hence why I stick to posting mostly music there really is not a lot of interest otherwise.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:49 AM

Not knowingly taken breaks, just drifted away, our worlds evolve, people move on.

Go back and things are never what they were.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-10-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I believe the reason to be is called progress Floydy.
Forums were a good way to connect in the old days with the outside world.
You could have a good banter with various members and they would go into depth with their posts.

These days however there is nowt worse than just smiley faces posts and one liners that a lot of members do (not just on this forum) and its all because they are posting on their mobiles and i.pods and other miniature machines that they carry about on their person.
They don't sit down anymore and think about what they are writing because they are either out and about shopping or out for the night on the town even exercising in the gym some of them. Or at work on a quick break or even travelling.
Yes progress as screwed up forums in my opinion.
Its a pity that words have been taken over by smileys and silly pictures.
I to have my moments when I wonder why the **** am I a member of a forum these days.
Hence why I stick to posting mostly music there really is not a lot of interest otherwise.
Nail on head, Longfellow
I find myself being more and more drawn into this lark as each day goes by. Mostly it's because of my lifestyle, or lack of it working bloody nights all the time. I get bored and I'm continually looking at my phone. It's become a distractive habit and I need to pack it in. Seriously bud, it's really making me ill.

But I have a solution. I'm going to have a phone-free November and apart from posting in the exercise thread I'm outta here. I enjoy the conversation from most of the members in here but I've simply had enough of other methods which govern the forum.

Right, off to sleep now. I'll leave you to enjoy your day mate
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I've no need to take a break from it. I don't use my mobile for chit chats with friends, I just pop in and out of a couple of forums and don't get involved in long conversations and don't have any on-line friends. I can see how it can all get a bit addictive though, if you're that way inclined.
I don't have a mobile phone.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top