Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Re: Taking a break from social media

It can get a bit intense if you let it Floydy. I don't have a smartphone, just a clamshell that lies abandoned on the worktop, or accompanies me while out driving in case I need to call those nice young chaps at 'Green Flag' so to come on here (which is the only social media site I visit) I use my Netbook or desktop computers. Consequently, my spelling and punctuation should be alright..... But I can't spend all day on here else Mrs Fox would be giving it large......

Since retiring I miss the company of my work colleagues, the banter and the advice (both incoming and outgoing) and the forum has filled the gap quite nicely, and now I don't have a foreman looking over my shoulder butting in to long conversations with threats of a life on the dole....

Even so, I try to limit my time on here in order to catch some of the life that's passing by my window..........But I can't see me ever being away for too long....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
When it gets on your nerves take a break.
And never take the internet on holiday!
I never do & I don't get withdrawal symptoms either.
My daughter has her smart phone & her ipad, but I never want to use them, I take a book & my camera. My phone doesn't do the net, it's an old basic model & PAYT, but still works to text & phone people.
I rarely use it anyway.
I started on the BBC boards when I watched Springwatch. Was sad they closed them all, there were some fun times there. I am on several forums, but mostly come here or I'm on FB.
I don't think forums have got any worse than at the begining of my time on the net. I was late coming to it, but have managed to learn stuff, though not a lot.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I've never left a forum, I still keep on posting, but I don't get involve in a lot of things, especially Politics, to me its just chatting with a few friends at the end of the day, I quite like it.

I feel much the same as you, Susie.

It's easy enough to just stay away from the threads which are nothing but repetitive arguments - and there are quite a few of those!

If I stay away from those threads, plus any poster's you really don't get along with, and there shouldn't be a problem IMO.

I happen to like the majority of posters, but the very few who might do my head in, I keep away from. That way, I'm not tempted to blow a gasket.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Don't blame you at all, I do it often and I don't even miss the Internet while I'm away.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 12:25 PM

Spot on. I agree with both points, Ruthio.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It can get a bit intense if you let it Floydy. I don't have a smartphone, just a clamshell that lies abandoned on the worktop, or accompanies me while out driving in case I need to call those nice young chaps at 'Green Flag' so to come on here (which is the only social media site I visit) I use my Netbook or desktop computers. Consequently, my spelling and punctuation should be alright..... But I can't spend all day on here else Mrs Fox would be giving it large......

Since retiring I miss the company of my work colleagues, the banter and the advice (both incoming and outgoing) and the forum has filled the gap quite nicely, and now I don't have a foreman looking over my shoulder butting in to long conversations with threats of a life on the dole....

Even so, I try to limit my time on here in order to catch some of the life that's passing by my window..........But I can't see me ever being away for too long....
I think that is a good point Foxy. I too used to be out and about meeting new people every day but all that has gone now. I love the banter on here and the flirting of course.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Probably best not to take in anywhere on a mobile device.

I'm just sitting at home typing this because I've got nothing better to do.

Five minutes and I'll be off.

wooosh
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
As someone who enjoys conversation and discussion on forums such as these, do you tire of the social media "way of life" on occasion.
Have you ever taken a break from a particular forum and what were your reasons for doing so?:

The basic need for change?
Reverting to 'real life' conversation with actual people?
Perhaps you were disillusioned with certain aspects of your forum?
And if you returned to said forum, why did you do so?

I have had a few tries at leaving a forum but something keeps me posting.
I may be close again.
It never ceases to amaze me, how quick a thread (as serious as this one is), can get hijacked and taken way out in left field before we all get a chance to have our say...........

Floyd, I don't know what happened, and I don't want to discuss it (because we are not supposed to), but I just hope I am not the reason why you feel you have to leave now. Somehow, I think I am...which makes me very sad.

I have enjoyed your posts very much. It has been a lot of fun posting with you. I do hope you can find a "balance", so you can enjoy the "best of both worlds".....it is not easy to find that balance, I have tried many times. I am so addicted, sometimes staying on here all day long, then going off with a headache.....and asking myself "why did I stay on there so long?"

Whatever you decide (I'm glad you slept on it)....I wish you all the very best life has to offer.....

Blue x
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
It never ceases to amaze me, how quick a thread (as serious as this one is), can get hijacked and taken way out in left field before we all get a chance to have our say...........

Floyd, I don't know what happened, and I don't want to discuss it (because we are not supposed to), but I just hope I am not the reason why you feel you have to leave now. Somehow, I think I am...which makes me very sad.

I have enjoyed your posts very much. It has been a lot of fun posting with you. I do hope you can find a "balance", so you can enjoy the "best of both worlds".....it is not easy to find that balance, I have tried many times. I am so addicted, sometimes staying on here all day long, then going off with a headache.....and asking myself "why did I stay on there so long?"

Whatever you decide (I'm glad you slept on it)....I wish you all the very best life has to offer.....

Blue x
I don't think Floydy has left Blue, just asking if sometimes we need a break. Anyway, he has his 'favourite singer' thread to complete yet.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Have we got one of those situations where someone has blasted themselves into space or gone on a never ending mission to Mars to get away from the forum?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top