Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:02 AM

London Underground commuters fainting at 'alarming levels'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44953440

Since 2016, 825 people have fainted or felt faint while travelling on the Tube between 08:00 and 08:59, Transport for London (TfL) data shows.

The RMT union described the numbers of people fainting as "alarming".

Passengers raised concerns over heat and overcrowding, but TfL insisted it "constantly" tried to keep temperatures down.

Figures obtained by the BBC showed the most common day of the week for people fainting was Monday, closely followed by Thursday.

King's Cross St Pancras, the busiest station on the Tube network, recorded the highest number of fainting incidents between January 2016 and May 2018, followed by Green Park and Liverpool Street.

During the summers of 2017 and 2018, temperatures on the Tube soared to more than 35°C (95F) - hotter than the European Union limit of 30°C (86F) for transporting cattle.
For almost 30 years, I was forced to attend residential computer/management courses every summer (it seemed) at ICL Beaumont, Old Windsor:

Actually, with sports facilities and 3 bars, it was very enjoyable .....

However, returning home on Friday afternoons, I had to travel from Windsor to Euston Station, which meant a rail/Tube journey, carrying luggage with a massive hangover .....

The rail journey wasn't usually too crowded but, after I changed, at Paddington (IIRC), to Tube, the nightmare began .....

The journey, in packed carriages, took half an hour - within minutes, I was often sweating buckets but 3 times I actually passed out and had to be revived at the terminus .....

For those who have to do those journeys regularly, I have the utmost sympathy .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Re: London Underground commuters fainting at 'alarming levels'

Originally Posted by Omah ->

For almost 30 years, I was forced to attend residential computer/management courses every summer (it seemed) at ICL Beaumont, Old Windsor:

However, returning home on Friday afternoons, I had to travel from Windsor to Euston Station, which meant a rail/Tube journey, carrying luggage with a massive hangover .....

The rail journey wasn't usually too crowded but, after I changed, at Paddington (IIRC), to Tube, the nightmare began .....

The journey, in packed carriages, took half an hour - within minutes, I was often sweating buckets but 3 times I actually passed out and had to be revived at the terminus .....

For those who have to do those journeys regularly, I have the utmost sympathy .....
It must be unbearable now travelling on trains and the underground. It was bad enough in the 70's/ 80's when I had the misfortune of using the central line every day. I just can't imagine what it's like now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Have to go up to the hospital in london every six months takes us about half an hour on the train, dread it each time. No matter how many times I ring to tell them I will be bringing a wheel chair they are never prepared at either end. One year I couldnt get off the train for 45 minutes. That was popular. But not I felt my fault. I remember nearly fainting several times with the heat and stress of it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

For five years I commuted from Brighton to Camden in North-West London on train and then Underground via the Victoria Line. Between Victoria and Oxford Circus in the morning the platform staff were pushing and shoving the passengers into the train in order to get the doors closed. This was repeated at Oxford Circus back to Victoria every evening. Some days, during a very hot summer, the train stopped outside the station due to a signalling fault and we were stationary there for about 45 minutes - some of the passengers fainted in the stifling heat and lack of air.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top