Join for free
Page 20 of 22 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Re: Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by Bread ->
My first post ...

I think the world has changed a lot since the days of Rowntree and the way they put back into the community. These days it comes in several different ways ...

The first is corporate "philanthropy projects" from the likes of Microsoft, Novartis etc - the huge corporates. Who tend to try and wipe out malaria while forgetting the poor homeless guy living on the roundabout.

The other way is the large corporates like Amazon, Google and Facebook who give their services for free to anyone who is prepared to use them.

One of the reasons (in my view) is that local companies don't necessarily employ local people 100% like they used to.

just my 2 pennies worth
I think thats what everyone does .
Starving children in the Yemen are far more appealing than down and outs in Birmingham .

I think Prince Charles could take a lead here instead of poncy retro villages like Poundland why doesn't he build some social housing using his many millions .
Where he leads some other weathly people may follow .
There are many housing projects in Tetbury -where he has his country estate but they are all super expensive.
I don't know where social housing goes .
They may have a couple of so called affordable homes stuck inbetween the others somewhere .

Perhaps there could be some tax incentives .
Build 10 houses for social means and gift them to the local government in lieu of taxes.
But then local government no doubt prefers the dosh .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Someone mentions Dyson and as he has his business near me I will say he has been a great incentive to British manufacturing .
The Dyson factory was and still is a major employer in Wiltshire now mani ly research people .
Before when he made the vacuums here he employed over 500 people in fact was the major employer in this area .
He is a good employer too sending transport ( he hires the local bus company ) to pick up hos workers from the surrounding villages .
It was a great pity and a blow to many that he moved the manufacturing part of his business to Malaysia .
Maybe he will return his workforce to Britain should we leave the EU Muddy, he was always a Brexiteer.....
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Maybe he will return his workforce to Britain should we leave the EU Muddy, he was always a Brexiteer.....
Pigs might fly!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:51 PM

It would certainly improve rural unemployment in the area.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:53 PM

I think that what everyone does ?
Starving children in the Yemen are far more appealing than down and outs in Birmingham .

I think Prince Charles could take a lead here instead of poncy retro villages like Poundland why doesn't he build some social housing using his many millions .
Where he leads some other weathly people may follow .
There are many housing projects in Tetbury -where he has his country estate but they are all super expensive.
I don't know where social housing goes .
They may have a couple of so called affordable homes stuck i between the others somewhere .
We also have some major new housing projects going on around here Muddy (mainly four bedroom townhouses) and I have to ask myself......'Where are all the people coming from to fill them?' And 'Where will they work?' most of the industrial units are laying empty, and most of the industry has moved away......

It seems Yorkshire is fast becoming a massive retirement retreat....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-12-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Pigs might fly!
Stranger things have happened Purwell.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Someone mentions Dyson and as he has his business near me I will say he has been a great incentive to British manufacturing .
The Dyson factory was and still is a major employer in Wiltshire now mani ly research people .
Before when he made the vacuums here he employed over 500 people in fact was the major employer in this area .
He is a good employer too sending transport ( he hires the local bus company ) to pick up hos workers from the surrounding villages .
It was a great pity and a blow to many that he moved the manufacturing part of his business to Malaysia .
That was me.

Yes, he has moved his manufacturing section to Malaysia, but then who can blame him. The workers there work for peanuts, so he can save a great deal on manufacturing costs.

Nevertheless, he still employs more skilled workers here in the UK and, more importantly, still pays taxes to us.

That's the way of the world.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Except when he was campaigning for us to join the euro...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Except when he was campaigning for us to join the euro...
Nobody's perfect Annie.....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Nobody's perfect Annie.....
He's a businessman. Patriotism does not drive his decisions. Perhaps he's hoping brexit will drive wages right down here.

Page 20 of 22 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top