Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Re: Dog breeding

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Think you could say the same about all breeders.
Yes but I think what Mups means is that they are in it purely for the money and have no regard for the welfare of the dogs. I would imagine that being a genuine breeder would cost quite a bit these days what with all the tests they need to do and then there's vets bills, licenses and employing staff.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes but I think what Mups means is that they are in it purely for the money and have no regard for the welfare of the dogs. I would imagine that being a genuine breeder would cost quite a bit these days what with all the tests they need to do and then there's vets bills, licenses and employing staff.
Yes, but would they commit to all these costs if they couldn't recoup them then some from the sale of their (presumably pedigreed) animals?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Yes, but would they commit to all these costs if they couldn't recoup them then some from the sale of their (presumably pedigreed) animals?
Probably not, I'm sure all of them wish to make some profit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 01:38 PM

With so many unwanted dogs in dog sanctuaries what are your veiws on breeding dogs ?
So many people want breed puppies .

The dog breeding industry is huge dogs are even imported from Romania and other east European countries .

Although I understand the desire and delights of a puppy I feel this is wrong .
A lot of the dogs in sanctuaries/rescues are there because many people get a dog not realise the work and commitment that goes into owning a dog . Owning a dog is like taking on a small child and having it with you for up to 16 years.

By all means take on a dog from a sanctuary/rescue if you do not want a specify breed and are aware that a rescue dog may have acquired behaviours that need to be trained out.

There are still some good breeders around if you know where to look those who breed to make sure people can obtain a healthy dog with a good temperament of the breed of their choice. They breed rarely and prospective owners can expect to wait for some time for a puppy.

I go back to the days of the wealthy 'hobby breeders with kennels'. One such Kennel was founded by the Rank family , the millers of 'Rank Hovis McDougall' fame, another brother was J Arthur Rank (Joseph), the famous film magnet. Their kennels were legendary.

The first kennel in which I worked were owned by a millionairess, she never married and her dogs were everything to her . She had a staff of 5, the kennels were very expensive to run, no expense was spared on the dogs and they were treated better than the staff. Certainly the dogs didn't make any money for the owners and money was of no consequence for these pioneers who help to breed dogs true to type and set the standard .Without them, there would be fewer of the lovely breeds we have now.

I also worked for a wealthy woman who founded her kennel of Miniature Schnauzer with a bitch obtained from Mrs Milsom of the Quarrydene kennels, one of the first people to breed Minis in this county, one of her dogs 'Ch Quarrydene Gretchen was the first Mini ever to become a champion in 1939 . The woman did much to further the breed breeding only from the best examples of the breed that conformed to the breed standard.

Again the kennel cost a small fortune to run, we bred only the occasional litter and had a waiting list of prospective owners from around the world.
Our dogs were sold on the condition that they never went to a third party , if for any reason a dog was no longer wanted it had to be returned to us and we would buy it back.

I only remember one coming back, the owner was moving abroad.

Anyone looking to buy a puppy of a specific breed would be well advise to look up the breed club on the internet, contact the secretary and ask for a list of approved breeders who have signed up to the breeders code of conduct. The will have carried out the necessary health tests and only breed occasionaly from dogs with good temperaments. There are no guarantees you will find the perfect breeder but at least it avoids puppy farms.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 01:46 PM

New regulation for breeding dogs to help stamp out puppy farms came into effect this April

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/bre...ng-regulation/
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A lot of the dogs in sanctuaries/rescues are there because many people get a dog not realise the work and commitment that goes into owning a dog . Owning a dog is like taking on a small child and having it with you for up to 16 years.
Totally agree. I have made that point myself.
And, if you put in that commitment, you get rewarded ten times over.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Quite .
If they didn't make money they would not breed their dogs .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Gorgeous pups. Are they your Mups ?

I saw a lovely cross breed the other day. It was beautiful, soft curly coat that didn't moult. All the attributes that a dog lover would like. It cost £1000, basically for a mongrel !

If we continue to pay high prices, then the dog breeding business will continue to grow and I fear, in not very scrupulous ways.

Thanks Puddles.

Yes they were mine, but a long time ago now.
I stopped keeping the Shepherds when my last boy died in 2009.
Sounds rather dramatic no doubt, but I loved them more than words csn say and I couldn't face losing another one.
That, coupled with my age, I decided no more big GSD's.

I already my first Beddie four years before Biff died, he adored her and she used to sleep in his long belly hair when she was tiny. I found them super little dogs, so stayed with that breed ever since.

Regarding prices of dogs nowadays, I think it has gone beyond ridiculous. And as for the indiscriminate breeding of any two breeds, it has gone way too far IMO.

Some first crosses are very nice, I quite like some Labradoodles for instance, but it has gone way too far and people are mating the most unsuitable dogs together purely for the money.
As long as people are daft enough to pay, it will carry on.

These were two beauties, the kindest dogs anyone could meet too. They were my Dottie and her son Doug.

And this was my Biff with his adoring little friend.
I still have her, her name is Mups, hence my forum name. She will be 14 this year, and sadly, has quite bad cataracts now.

I'm going now, else I shall get too boring.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 05:57 AM

Boring? You, Mups? Never going to happen.

Those photos are really lovely - especially Biff and Mups.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Puddles.

Yes they were mine, but a long time ago now.
I stopped keeping the Shepherds when my last boy died in 2009.
Sounds rather dramatic no doubt, but I loved them more than words csn say and I couldn't face losing another one.
That, coupled with my age, I decided no more big GSD's.

I already my first Beddie four years before Biff died, he adored her and she used to sleep in his long belly hair when she was tiny. I found them super little dogs, so stayed with that breed ever since.

Regarding prices of dogs nowadays, I think it has gone beyond ridiculous. And as for the indiscriminate breeding of any two breeds, it has gone way too far IMO.

Some first crosses are very nice, I quite like some Labradoodles for instance, but it has gone way too far and people are mating the most unsuitable dogs together purely for the money.
As long as people are daft enough to pay, it will carry on.

These were two beauties, the kindest dogs anyone could meet too. They were my Dottie and her son Doug.

And this was my Biff with his adoring little friend.
I still have her, her name is Mups, hence my forum name. She will be 14 this year, and sadly, has quite bad cataracts now.

I'm going now, else I shall get too boring.
Lovely pictures Mups

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top