Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Remote Control Repair

I repaired two of my remote controls today though I only photographed one.

One was much used and belonged to my WD TV Live player, the other is rarely used and from my Topfield PVR.

We have talked about this elsewhere but it was some time ago so I thought I would start a new thread.

The remote controls had several buttons which either didn't work or required several operations to get a result.

Both remotes came apart in a similar fashion which was basically by prising them apart at the seams. I used my spudger (see photo) but in fact I think a thin bladed screwdriver might have been better. However I checked them both carefully for screws before prising them apart - look under rubber feet or in the battery compartment. I initially tried at several points but found that near a corner worked best on both. once there was a gap it was easy but getting that initial break was a bit nerve racking.

The WDTV remote was harder to prise apart and the plastic was slightly damaged at the seam from the prising though nothing a trim with a Stanley Knife couldn't repair. The Topfield remote actually broke some very tiny pieces of plastic off and I thought I might have to glue the two halves back together but in the event it didn't seem to make any difference as both cases snapped back together firmly.

The circuit board and the rear of the press buttons I cleaned with alcohol - meths or lighter fluid would have done but I had a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol which was fine.

After making sure it was dry I put everything back together and both remote controls now work 100%. Quite pleased.

The picture shows the board and keypad after cleaning.

BTW the WD remote looked as if some liquid had been spilled inside it but the Topfield remote had no visible problem. AS I say both were as they should be after cleaning.

Anyway if you have a dodgy remote control they are not difficult to repair with a little care.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	190605 004  Remote Control Repair.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	9757  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Re: Remote Control Repair

I had to do one of mine recently. Several of the buttons stopped working. On internal examination, some liquid had got into it. Mr. Nobody had had done it of course.

Washed all parts in warm soapy water, rinsed with clean warm water, dried thoroughly with a hair dryer and reassembled. Works as new.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 03:22 PM

Thanks. Mighty be trying that soon as my Sky remote is getting a bit 'sticky'.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 04:37 PM

A couple of mine were playing up recently.
I just bought a one for all controller. Not expensive and a doddle to set up.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...37494-pdt.html
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 05:51 PM

FWIW, Virgin Media provides our services. They provided a replacement remote after the dog chewed one up. Free of charge - no questions asked.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top