Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Anyone for bread ?

Does anyone make bread?

I do and find the type of flour used makes a big difference to the finished product.
I like 'Marriages' and 'Doves Farm' flour. I also use fresh yeast and think it gives a much better result than the dried stuff.
As fresh yeast freezes well and keeps in the freezer for up to three months ,I buy it in batches and put it in half ounce packets ready for use.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Re: Anyone for bread ?

That's interesting Meg. I am afraid that I only use a bread maker now and again but like the idea of trying to "do it properly".
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:34 PM

I used to make all my own bread, back years ago. I used Pewsey flour, collected from the mill.
I've got a breadmaker and go through phases of using it - I haven't made bread from scratch for over 25 years I guess.
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I have a bread maker too, only used it twice though......Wasn't to keen on the taste to be honest, I much prefer to buy Granary bread from asda
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 06:51 PM

I tried to make milk-free and yeast-free bread, but it always come out soft and doughy
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 08:43 PM

I've never had a bread maker; used to make my own bread quite frequently when the bread in the markets was mostly rubbish. But since Whole Foods opened they have a marvellous variety of artisan breads, so haven't made my own for a long time. I used to work out my frustrations at work kneading and thumping the bread thinking of my awful bosses!

I agree, fresh yeast is better.
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

We have a bread maker, which we used to use frequently, but since knocking bread on the head, it's gne back to live in the cupboard.......
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 09:58 AM

Try this recommended to me by a local master baker.

Mr Olley’s Bread Recipe

13/4 lb of the strongest flour you can get. (usually from a baker)
Half an oz of salt
2 teaspoons of olive oil
500mls tepid water
1 sachet of yeast.

Put in bread machine and set for dough.
When ready take out knock down and knead for three to five minutes.
Put into a 2lb bread tin
Allow to rise.
Put in pre heated oven (220 degrees centigrade) for 40 to 45 minutes.

The reason for using the oven for baking is that the chamber on the bread maker is too small and consequently the bread steams rather than bakes.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top