Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 10:28 AM

Re: Eating in the uk in the fifties

But not everyone could afford them! Although, I got loads of fruit - and veg but hated the veg (still do)

Thanks for the post - good one
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

11-02-2013, 10:30 AM

I thought the point wasn't whether people could afford these things, or not, but whether they were available in the 50s.
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Don't worry about it Willow.
In the morning my Dad used to go to the chip shop at the bottom of the road, and buy any cooked fish that had not been sold the previous evening.
We had it still battered smothered in salt and vinegar in a doorstep sandwich. Absolutely gorgous, still have those sarnys now. I didn't win but I was in the top five of unusual sandwiches, published in the Daily Mirror a couple of years ago.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

11-02-2013, 01:33 PM

I am not worried about it. My father worked his socks off to build his successful business, which provided a good living for his family, just as my husband worked hard to ensure a that we are reasonably comfortable in our old age.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Loved the post U Joe....really enjoyed reading it - thanks....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I thought the point wasn't whether people could afford these things, or not, but whether they were available in the 50s.
There you go again Willow, If you truely thought that then why did you not say ' You could get this, you could get that' instead of the looking down you nose style saying 'We had this, We had that'.

Joe, thanks for posting 'mdgfishings' post here I had forgotten about these things and did enjoy reading it again.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

11-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
There you go again Willow, If you truely thought that then why did you not say ' You could get this, you could get that' instead of the looking down you nose style saying 'We had this, We had that'.

Joe, thanks for posting 'mdgfishings' post here I had forgotten about these things and did enjoy reading it again.
I don't apologise for the fact we could afford more than others, why should I? It was all down to extremely hard work, which many would have fought shy of!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 03:25 PM

The men in your life have kept you in a style that you relish...
For others - such as miners - factory workers - labourers, it was a matter of a roof over their head and food on the table. Hard work for 'little' return .. but thankfully, they were 'workers' and I am grateful to each and every one.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 05:47 PM

50s food yuk
My main memory is of my great aunt (who looked after me when mum died) cooking cabbage in a blackened pan on the fire for about an hour and poking it with a knife

My sister tells me as a child I lived mainly on semolina which is not surprising if think about the cabbage.

Tuesdays was tea with a wealthy aunt, always boiled eggs served on the billiard table in the morning room. I put my crusts in the little nets which I thought were there for the purpose and later discovered they were to hold billiard balls
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
50s food yuk
My main memory is of my great aunt (who looked after me when mum died) cooking cabbage in a blackened pan on the fire for about an hour and poking it with a knife

My sister tells me as a child I lived mainly on semolina which is not surprising if think about the cabbage.
giggle - poor Meg - sounds awful....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top