Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:01 PM

Re: Foreign Aid department scrapped.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That is unacceptable.

I'd be interested to compare the actual figures given in foreign aid by the larger economies of the world, and in particular those of each of the EU 'member states'.

I don't know who the first and second highest donors are, but I suspect one would be the US. I shouldn't be surprised either if Germany contributes more than us, but perhaps it's someone else.
Hi

China is the biggest overall donor, but not a DAC Member.

Here you go

DAC Members' Foreign Aid Donations
United States: $34.73 billion.
Germany: $25.01 billion.
United Kingdom: $18.10 billion.
European Union: $16.44 billion.
Japan: $11.46 billion.
France: $11.33 billion.
Italy: $5.86 billion.
Sweden: $5.56 billion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

China is the biggest overall donor, but not a DAC Member.

Here you go

DAC Members' Foreign Aid Donations
United States: $34.73 billion.
Germany: $25.01 billion.
United Kingdom: $18.10 billion.
European Union: $16.44 billion.
Japan: $11.46 billion.
France: $11.33 billion.
Italy: $5.86 billion.
Sweden: $5.56 billion.
Thank you.

Pretty much as I expected. France, with a comparable population as the UK pays a little over half of what we pay.

What I don't really understand is the 'European Union' contribution. I assume that this is what is paid by all member states other than Germany, France, Italy and Sweden.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:24 PM

Thank you.

Pretty much as I expected. France, with a comparable population as the UK pays a little over half of what we pay.

What I don't really understand is the 'European Union' contribution. I assume that this is what is paid by all member states other than Germany, France, Italy and Sweden.
Hi

Not exactly, all EU Member States pay into the EU Foreign Aid Budget and the amount they do pay in contributes to their overall spending on Foreign Aid.

My logic is this.

What we pay and to whom should be under our control. not the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:49 PM

Not exactly, all EU Member States pay into the EU Foreign Aid Budget and the amount they do pay in contributes to their overall spending on Foreign Aid.
I find this confusing. So do the figures quoted for the individual countries listed include their separate contributions to the EU contributions?

My logic is this.

What we pay and to whom should be under our control. not the EU.
I agree completely, and surely that will happen after December.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

22-06-2020, 06:39 AM

I find this confusing. So do the figures quoted for the individual countries listed include their separate contributions to the EU contributions?

I agree completely, and surely that will happen after December.

Hi

Yes.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:52 AM

In the current climate we should not be giving aid to any foreign country, charity begins at home and we should not have our own people struggling when we give millions to foreign countries. However likewise we need to also sort out our own benefits system, there are far too many people getting benefits that should not be and a fair number of people who are not getting anything that should be, the benefits system was designed as a safety net, not as it as become for a lot of people, a career choice!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
In the current climate we should not be giving aid to any foreign country, charity begins at home and we should not have our own people struggling when we give millions to foreign countries. However likewise we need to also sort out our own benefits system, there are far too many people getting benefits that should not be and a fair number of people who are not getting anything that should be, the benefits system was designed as a safety net, not as it as become for a lot of people, a career choice!
I agree.

I believe especially the ones claiming medically-related incapacity. I have it on good authority that those investigating and making decisions are not in any way medically qualified and, instead, use a simple check list of capabilities.

I'm sure that some deserving individuals fail to pass the interrogation but, more importantly, the experienced liars can easily convince the 'expert' that they cannot work and are in desperate need of handouts.

I may have mentioned this before, but I remember a very nice and helpful chap who, despite being totally blind, secured a job as a darkroom technician at our hospital (the perfect job for him, I suppose). The hospital authorities not only employed him, but also provided a suitable cage, with all necessary facilities, for his guide dog whilst he was working.

I had a great deal of respect for that man, as I do for anyone who has the gumption to make such an effort.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 11:44 AM

Cease all free money handouts. Seriously. Why support lame duck nations or races. Let evolution solve such problems.

ALL LIVES MATTER!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
Nor should we be paying extortionate salaries to those who run the quangos that think up silly, sometimes stupid projects and distribute the aid money.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Missionaries were without doubt the very worst export this country or for that matter ANY European country could have sent anywhere. Some who brought medicine and medical resources might have served a useful purpose but that was completely obliterated by them bringing in the stupid religon and European values that they enforced in the natives.

ALL. LIVES MATTER!
Of course All Lives Matter.

1.28 Billion Catholics World Wide, especially the 200million Catholics residing in Africa do not beleive that missionaries were the worst export this Country or others could have sent anywhere.
Indeed they are very grateful that the missionaries taught them about God and educated them as well.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top