Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Re: Stolen fireworks.

Like others, I loved saving up to buy fireworks for halloween, however now things have changed.

The response to everything these days seems to be "punish everyone" because it's easier than punishing the guilty. I assume that the misuse of fireworks is covered by various laws, but applying them would be too much trouble.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Like others, I loved saving up to buy fireworks for halloween, however now things have changed.
Many of the fireworks they have these days bear no resemblance to the ones we had as children, they are much larger and more powerful.

A few years ago on Nov 5th there was a party in a nearby house and a large bang/explosion above my garden . I went out and couldn't see anything but the cattle in the field next door were very spooked .

When I went out the next morning a firework had made a small crater in the lawn
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 10:51 AM

Iīm for the organised displays only, there are too many idiots around these days who seem to think itīs fun to tie fireworks to animals and laugh as the terrified creatures panic and suffer. Or the idiots who think itīs great fun to push fireworks through some old personīs letterbox, this happened to my mother who was completely blind and crippled with arthritis. That was quite some years ago, these days there are even more unthinking idiots about and you canīt smack the backsides of any one of them, little darlings that they are ! Organised displays only for me.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:25 AM

As Meg says, they are nothing like the 'good ole days'. GW, I know you've made your feelings clear in recent years about fireworks, how you grumble about what we city people say and think.

They are a noisy nuisance, and can do more harm in the wrong hands.

I'm not against publicly organised displays. I love fireworks just as much as anyone, but I'd like to know that when that display is over, then so is the noise.

Lying in bed at well past midnight, anticipating the next bang, is no fun.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
As Meg says, they are nothing like the 'good ole days'. GW, I know you've made your feelings clear in recent years about fireworks, how you grumble about what we city people say and think.

They are a noisy nuisance, and can do more harm in the wrong hands.

I'm not against publicly organised displays. I love fireworks just as much as anyone, but I'd like to know that when that display is over, then so is the noise.

Lying in bed at well past midnight, anticipating the next bang, is no fun.

I'd go a step further Jazzi, and say I'd like to know that when Nov 5th is over, then so is the noise.
It's usually the people without pets to consider that don't give a damn.
I also feel sorry for the wild animals who haven't got anyone to console them.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:41 AM

The only time I like fireworks is when I am safely indoors watching a display on tv. Would never go to a display as they frighten me too much. I have done in the past (years and years ago) and spent all my time too frightened.

When Abbie was alive she was scared of them too so we used to spend the night her behind the settee and me keeping her company so she would stop shaking.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'd go a step further Jazzi, and say I'd like to know that when Nov 5th is over, then so is the noise.
It's usually the people without pets to consider that don't give a damn.
I also feel sorry for the wild animals who haven't got anyone to console them.
Dreading what my future pet will have to endure.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just heard on the late news, that thieves have broken into a warehouse not far from me, and stolen Ģ100,000 worth of fireworks.

There is always a huge public display organised near me, and I have a feeling they buy the fireworks from this place,so I wonder what will happen to that this year if they've all been nicked now?

Personally, I don't mind a few pretty ones, but the bangs in this local display are ear-splitting, they are like real explosions and quite frightening.
P'raps they're going to pack 'em in the cellars of the Palace of Westminster???
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 12:46 PM

Hold on there Jazzi... My 'Grumble' is that people seem happy to call for a ban on just about anything they disapprove of, rather than targetting people who abuse things like fireworks.

I would also add that while I personally don't have pets, I live in a rural community where most people have dogs and farms usually have a few cats too. I,from time to time, own and help to look after livestock and there's a lot more to worry about than fireworks once or twice a year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Would only want to ban the noisy ones. I don't see what fun there is in making loud noises.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top