Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Libralass
New Member!
Hertfordshire
Libralass is female 

09-02-2020, 07:46 PM

Re: Are Storms Getting Worse or is Society more Fragile

The many forms of media searching for 24 hour news certainly has a lot to do with the extent to which we are made aware of weather in all areas of the country (and world).

Interesting that we see a lot of extremes, wind, rain, high temperatures but haven't seen snow like the winter of '63 in a very long time. Global warming?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 07:58 PM

Climate change certainly is affecting the world's weather, of that there is no doubt, but I do think that people have become soft.

I remember dodging the waves as they broke over the sea wall at Blackpool (and getting soaking wet) and also skidding down frosty and icy pavements (and getting boll*cked by my mum for wearing out my shoe leather).

Trees used to fall when it was windy, gert furrows would form when it snowed, and so much more that we just accepted.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 09:27 PM

The Great Frost of 1683/4 resulted in the Thames freezing over, and quite a party was to be had by the looks of things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...683%E2%80%9384

The same year the people walked across the River Mersey , which was probably over 3 miles wide at that time ( they since built on land reclaimed from the River Mersey)
Again in 1895, Large ice flows had come down from the upper reaches of the river, bringing small icebergs and the river froze - remaining so for a few weeks before the thaw set in .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
That link was very interesting Omah .... I love stuff like that

The winter of 62/63 was a real severe one ... the Thames froze and people cycled on it to work. Boris would have loved the new cycle lane.

I think the media just ramps it all up now.
I seem to recall cold winters with lots of snow in the 60's and 70's .... and a couple of particularly bad ones after MT Helena went up in 1980.
After that, less snow, and the late 80's and 90's saw storms and the noughties and teens seem to be dominated by flooding.
My friend & I had horses in 62/63, had to be the worst Winter I ever remember, it was so cold there were icicles on the horses manes & tails, never seen that happen before, they were rugged up in the field but as it was so cold we brought them into the stables & they stayed in for a few days, it was too snowy & cold to ride out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Storm of the century
I spend the most terrifying holiday of my life that year. Every year my parents took us to Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast for our summer holidays.

That year the damage caused by the flooding and storm was very visible along parts of the sea front. I was at that age where I understood about the terrible winter, the flooding and deaths but did not understand that it was a freak event. I thought it could happen again at any moment, I was so relieved when the holiday came to an end and we got on the train to go home.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I spend the most terrifying holiday of my life that year. Every year my parents took us to Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast for our summer holidays.

That year the damage caused by the flooding and storm was very visible along parts of the sea front. I was at that age where I understood about the terrible winter, the flooding and deaths but did not understand that it was a freak event. I thought it could happen again at any moment, I was so relieved when the holiday came to an end and we got on the train to go home.

The east coast including Felixstowe suffered from the floods of winter 1953.
Richard Cornwall writes a more descriptive , recent account in the link. 41 people died, half of them children, in January 1953.

Only that I lived in Felixtowe for a number of years 80/90's that I have known about it, an event that has been forgotten about.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/f...ives-1-1831399
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Last year we had the worst hurricane ever reported in the region. 200 year old oaks were tossed around like dust bunnies. I lost hundreds of trees. When I was a kid, this area got a hurricane about every ten years. Now it has become a yearly event.

Anecdotes aside, the statistics show that we are having stronger and more frequent storms regardless of whether people are more sensitive to them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Last year we had the worst hurricane ever reported in the region. 200 year old oaks were tossed around like dust bunnies. I lost hundreds of trees. When I was a kid, this area got a hurricane about every ten years. Now it has become a yearly event.

Anecdotes aside, the statistics show that we are having stronger and more frequent storms regardless of whether people are more sensitive to them.
What do you (and others) expect? Anthropogenic global climate change.

WHEN will people accept that it is real, can be intercepted, and can be reversed by a change in everybody's way of life? Even an individual behaving responsibly has an beneficial effect.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What do you (and others) expect? Anthropogenic global climate change.

WHEN will people accept that it is real, can be intercepted, and can be reversed by a change in everybody's way of life? Even an individual behaving responsibly has an beneficial effect.
So, what have YOU done about it recently ......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
So, what have YOU done about it recently ......
I've avoided getting paranoid Omah.....

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top