Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Re: Exploding shower screen

How scary for you Barry and good job your Wife was at hand.

I wonder if the water was too hot?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 01:44 PM

That must have given you a start , so lucky you was not more injured.
Not heard of this happening before ,.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Oh Barry, I am glad you are OK.
I have a glass shower screen in my new ensuite! Now I am worried.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Glad you are OK Barry that must have given you quite a fright.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Interesting reading. https://www.thespruce.com/glass-show...itself-3972517

I think I would have done a whoopsie if it had happened to me. Good to hear that you are not badly hurt.

Very interesting.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Good grief!
I'm glad I have a curtain!
I have a glass phobia so that would be my worst nightmare, I won't even have drinking glasses in the house, won't touch it either arrrggghhh!
Glad you're ok Barry. X
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:06 PM

Gosh, that must have been scary for you Barry

Glad you're ok as the injuries could have been a lot worse
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:42 PM

Very weird thing to happen, Barry. Thank God you're not badly hurt.

Obviously with your shower being fitted a while ago you won't have a guarantee. maybe get a perspex/polycarbonate one fitted as a replacement?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Just a thought Barry. Any chance of subsidence or floor movement? I have known this to happen a few years ago in an area suffering from subsidence. It might be worth you measuring the remaining shower frame diagonally to ensure nothing has shifted. The glass should be Toughened obviously which would not shatter unless under stress or struck a sharp blow.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Very weird thing to happen, Barry. Thank God you're not badly hurt.

Obviously with your shower being fitted a while ago you won't have a guarantee. maybe get a perspex/polycarbonate one fitted as a replacement?
I've ordered an exact replacement with ten year guarantee Floydy, and although after googling the problem it seems "quite common", that has to be read in the knowledge that there are millions of these screens worldwide, so "quite common" is in fact a minute percentage. It's a bit like being hit by lightning, but thankfully lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place.... does it...

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Just a thought Barry. Any chance of subsidence or floor movement? I have known this to happen a few years ago in an area suffering from subsidence. It might be worth you measuring the remaining shower frame diagonally to ensure nothing has shifted. The glass should be Toughened obviously which would not shatter unless under stress or struck a sharp blow.
It is a frameless screen EZ so no frame to measure, but certainly no signs of any movement and if there was the sealant it was fixed in should have allowed it to flex... If you google the problem then a minute bit of damage or a fault in manufacture can go unnoticed for years until for no apparent reason the inbuilt stresses become just too much and the glass shatters, a really weird anomaly but quite terrifying when it goes, and it went with a thunderous bang.....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top