Join for free
Page 125 of 370 « First < 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 225 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

No I don't swim in the sea it's too blooming cold and rough. I would need to wear a wet suit like the Surfers do and I don't really fancy that.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Yea Gods Roxy, you'd have to be mad to swim in that.....
Nice photos though, thanks for sharing....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Foxy quote:

Mups.....I have a very strong interest in the tens machine you describe and I will respond in a later post, but first I need to dig my vehicle out and visit Tesco for me dinner.....Catch you later.
Unquote.

I didn't mention a Tens machine Foxy?
The thing I was on about is just like a big fat biro, so it's easy to carry in your pocket if necessary.
No electrics needed, nothing to plug in, it works by crystals I think.

This one on Amazon is quite a bit cheaper than if you buy it at Boots. It looks the same as my one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paingone-Re...Pain+Gone+pens
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 10:42 PM

I think Surfermom identified your pen as being a TENS pain relief pen.
T = Transcutaneous
E = Electrical
N = Nerve
S = Stimulation

It may or may not be a 'Tens' Mups, but I have had some good results with Electrical Nerve Stimulation in the past....

Back in the eighties I occasionally had a similar problem to the one I have now. I realise that it has probably been the Piriformis Muscle all along, one of the very few injuries I have sustained over the years. So I spent hundreds of pounds back then visiting Physios, Chiropractors and Osteopaths. I also visited my GP thinking it might have been arthritis of the hip (the site of the pain) he sent me for various scans and x-rays, all of which came back normal......

In desperation I visited an Alternative Practitioner who administered a small electric shock into my ear (Electrical Acupuncture) and told me to start running again after a couple of days. So two days later I jogged up the lane for the first time in six weeks, and I knew immediately that the injury had gone....

I visited her a couple of times after that with the same results, until she eventually moved away and I lost touch. Apart from running my most enduring hobby is electronics. I decided to build the same equipment, and after a few failed attempts managed to recreate the same machine. I was amazed to find that it worked the next time my back trouble returned.

A couple of work colleagues who suffered with back pain were also surprised with the results when it was used on them. In fact, one of those cured was so delighted with his pain relief, that he asked me to make one just for him...

I realise now that I had actually built a TENS machine before they were ever available on the market. As with most of my inventions though, after months of designing, building and testing, you can eventually buy the same stuff for a few quid in the local DIY store.....

Here is a photo of the equipment, still in use.....
It might not look pretty, but it works....

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:55 AM

Roxy! What a spectacular pair of photos. I can almost hear the surf crashing...and while you may laugh, I am not dissimilarly dressed than the man in the second shot, wearing a four millimeter wetsuit this time of year. Want to borrow one of mine? . I am sure you must never tire of looking at it, though I wouldn't be tempted to paddle out in that double-overhead surf either.

That's an impressive invention, OGF! How clever!

I am the one who mentioned the TENS having been prescribed one for an unflagging problem with an IT band. I used it to relieve some of the muscles that were sympathetically locked up, and it worked very well. The funny thing is that I could never get it to work at a high enough frequency to suit me. I guess I have a high pain tolerance . My doctor said it wouldn't reach deeply enough for my piriformis, but I do agree that it helps with lower muscle pain. Not for long, but oh..in the moment....

The snow photo is perfection, OGF. . If you have to be sidelined with an injury - this is the day for it. I hope you had a nice warm recovery day. Pass a mug of cocoa, please.

Now I would elaborate on the lovely run I had today, but in fear of another four or so dozen sad faces from a certain sidelined marathoner, I will refrain except to say that for the first time in five years, my daughter was able to keep pace with me for almost four miles before she dropped back. An even better day will be the one in which she passes me .

Stay warm everyone, no slips and falls, please and may your muscles, along with all the school children, enjoy a snow day!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

The snow photo is perfection, OGF. . If you have to be sidelined with an injury - this is the day for it. I hope you had a nice warm recovery day. Pass a mug of cocoa, please.

Now I would elaborate on the lovely run I had today, but in fear of another four or so dozen sad faces from a certain sidelined marathoner, I will refrain except to say that for the first time in five years, my daughter was able to keep pace with me for almost four miles before she dropped back. An even better day will be the one in which she passes me .

Stay warm everyone, no slips and falls, please and may your muscles, along with all the school children, enjoy a snow day!
Mug of cocoa on it's it's way Surfermom, just stick it in the microwave, and don't you dare stop posting your excellent reports, it's the only thing keeping me away from the Prozac....
A slightly better morning pain wise, but it looks like being the long game...
We'll see how those ailing muscles stand up to the holiday, and then maybe call upon the services of the charming 'Tracey' a highly recommended physio........Unless I get a better offer......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 04:30 AM

While the women of the forum are dashing about trying to get their physio certifications, OGF is to be commended for saving his backside to flaunt, well-healed, on the sunny decks of ocean liner. Knowing he is Caribbean bound makes it somewhat difficult to suffer for him too much, but we shall try.

Meanwhile, along the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico, I had planned a long beach run this afternoon. Loose sand running is as difficult as it gets for me, so I am trying to condition myself for those leg-torturing miles before the heat and humidity leave me looking more like a panting, stumbling mess than a runner.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature is once again having her way with us right now - foggy one minute, sunny the next, and then blowing gales soon after that. Having had my head down in work most of the warm, blustery day, I missed the afternoon weather report showing a looming line of thunderstorms.

When I finally came up for air, the radar indicated line of storms descending on us from the northwest. In what one might either describe as panic mode or a clown in a circus, I was simultaneously putting on socks, grabbing the keys, hopping into my shoes, and making my way to the car. In the rearview mirror, I could spy the menacing clouds marching my direction. "I can still get six in, " I thought, but this thing was gaining ground on me so quickly that by the time I arrived, I was rationalizing a mere four.

No time for stretching, I dug in and started my run west, figuring that if it started to rain, I would at least have the pelting drops and cold front gusts on my back for the second half of the run.

Now, I could tell you about the difficulty of my steps, running into a wind that put me at a standstill, the tiredness of my legs after just two miles....but this sight was so stunningly beautiful that none of those factors mattered one bit.

Enough words from me; I will let Mother Nature speak for herself:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 06:02 AM

Surfermom - I do love your way with words. Your composition is amazingly well-written and puts my own rather basic jargon to shame. But I guess all we need to be able to do is get our points across. Just wish I was a little more adept with my prose, which is usually borderline inarticulate

I'm always envious of your weather too. It really is a million miles away from our depressing ice and snow here at the moment. Lovely photos from yourself and from Roxy too (nice to see you in here, Roxy!).

Bob - I do hope you're making progress with your piliformus muscle (or whatever they call it - my spelling skills evade me once again!) and that you are getting a little fitter ready for that cruise 9where I guess it doesn't matter too much lounging around on a deck chair with a G&T in hand! Are you using the tens machine yet? I had one a few years ago for my stomach to keep my abs showing through in my bodybuilding days and it would sure come in handy now!

It's a smashing little clientele we have going on in here now, very well represented for the thread and it's just a shame I myself am lagging behind in the exercise dept. That's because of the work rate I'm having to fulfil at night, plus the weather is draining me too - driving in that ice at sub-20mph isn't fun each night and it's also a nuisance when the house is bloody freezing because my boiler is on the blink. Anyway, top priority today is to thaw out the outlet pipe and it should be good to go again. Fingers crossed.

So all I really want to do this weekend is relax and chill out (the second part will be a certainly - literally!), but I will hopefully get at least one gym session in when I've done all my work around the house.

Take care folks
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Floydy, you must be having it a bit rough where you live, when the wind blows from the East it's the only time we get any snow around here, and I believe it's coming straight from Siberia, and you are first in line out there on the East coast. Yesterday I didn't even leave the house, the drive is under two inch of Ice and snow, and the last thing I want is to slip and set me back a week or two. Doesn't stop me feeling guilty though....

Nearly all the houses in my cul-de-sac have very ugly black lagged pipes running down the outside of the house. British Gas came out back in 2010, when everyone's boiler run off pipes froze and prevented the boilers from working, so they lagged the pipes and fitted some kind of electric heaters to them. When I had my boiler fitted I just ran the pipe straight through the wall and it discharges on to the garden, to the protestations of my boiler man, but it hasn't froze up yet....

Surfermom, what an awesome picture, I think even the Fox would be considering abandonment when faced with that spectacle......I was half expecting the sea to part..... Running into a gale provides some of the best training available, and second only to hill work. Not only does it drain your legs of power, it takes away your breath, and then only to find that you've hardly progressed..... The only upside, is that you can beat cyclists, who find it harder than we do....

You certainly are a 'Ballsy' runner, and are putting me to shame just lately. It's going to be hard laying in the sun on board ship, with waiters running around keeping me supplied with Pina colada's, and Salmon and Cucumber sandwiches. Hard job but somebody's got to do it....

Progress seems very slow just lately, and although I'm getting my files and photos in good order, I'm beginning to wonder if all this sitting is doing me any good. My walk on Monday wasn't very successful so I'm reluctant to try again before the holiday, but I keep coming back to the telephone number of the physio and wondering if muscle stiffness is the problem now the initial injury should be healing nicely. I'll keep trying the TENS machine and popping down a Ibuprofen before I go to bed - I don't like using ibuprofen on a regular basis, and while ever it's a bit painful I'm less likely to do stupid things....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

03-03-2018, 12:44 AM

It's a highlight of my day to check in on the daily exercise reports here. Don't sell yourself short, Floydy, your reports are always of interest. One of the things that makes it interesting is the variety of what people do and how they report it.

OGF is so right so call us "kindred spirits." The joys and tribulations of activity, often met with blank stares by my family and friends, are well-understood here.

I really do believe, and have made mental measure of it over the years, that people make some reasonable effort to keep their bodies moving and eat in a relatively balanced way enjoy the benefits of being generally good-natured, happy, and difficult to upset. Except in one key area...

and that's not being able to exercise.

Our common sense tells us that part of a fitness lifestyle - enjoying our time off with guilt-free pleasure, rest and recovery, and even a good dose self-indulgence - is not just a good thing, it's central to why we have self-discipline in the first place. Then why am I beating myself up or feeling like I am cheating if I skip a run to give my knee a holiday or have the meringue?
It's a sort of mental discipline in which I could improve.

So, here's to enjoying the snow and some DIY,
cleaning up computers while muscles heal,
deep-cleaning,
sipping piņa coladas deckside with your girl
...and feeling GREAT about it!

Glad you are behaving OGF. If that piriformis is still acting up when you return, we may have to name the little gremlin.

Page 125 of 370 « First < 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 225 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top