Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 12:23 PM

New inventions.

I'm not sure where to put this post, please move it if it's in the wrong place Mods.

With so much political violence in the world today consider this.
If you were an independent scientist and you invented a new material that was ten times stronger than steel and a quarter the weight of aluminium, would you offer the invention to the highest bidder knowing that your product could benefit mankind but could also be used by the military to say make bombs lighter and far more effective or some other destructive purpose.
I doesn’t have to be a material, anything that could be used for good or evil, if you get my meaning.
Another question, if you are the inventor are you obliged by law to give your government first refusal?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Re: New inventions.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I'm not sure where to put this post, please move it if it's in the wrong place Mods.

With so much political violence in the world today consider this.
If you were an independent scientist and you invented a new material that was ten times stronger than steel and a quarter the weight of aluminium, would you offer the invention to the highest bidder knowing that your product could benefit mankind but could also be used by the military to say make bombs lighter and far more effective or some other destructive purpose.
I doesn’t have to be a material, anything that could be used for good or evil, if you get my meaning.
Another question, if you are the inventor are you obliged by law to give your government first refusal?
But this quandary exists for a lot of things - do you make a load of dosh or sell your soul to the devil?

The way things are now it would probably be prudent to try and make a load of money el pronto and bugger off to somewhere that might survive the approaching apocalypse.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:00 PM

you invented a new material that was ten times stronger than steel and a quarter the weight of aluminium,
I think it may already been invented Jem , 'Graphene' has many of the attributes of which you speak
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:07 PM

Sell to the highest bidder. If you went to the government, they would have to form a committee, write a report, review it, debate it, re-visit it and finally reject it. In the meantime, the Americans would have copied it, the Germans would have improved it and the Japanese would have made it cheaper and more reliable.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:20 PM

Yes Meg I've seen a very interesting program about that some time ago, such fantastic stuff and sooo thin, there were great hopes for it's future, good use only I hope.

It's a tough one Mark, I'm reminded of ET in Spielbergs film, the government men dying to get their hands on him. I think if I found an alien in the back garden I'd tell him to piss off and land somewhere else, I'm too old to be running from G-men.
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Ask the guys who were on flight MH370 that question as literally that very morning their patent was granted for their invention .. Makes a plane invisible on radar'
A sceptic would say how strange these guys happened to be on a flight to China with such an invention , almost as if Uncle Sam wanted them dead ... Hmmmm but hey , governments would never do such a thing over an invention ... Right?!
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 02:09 PM

As on off topic /on topic thing re inventions , years ago I did indeed invent something but you can't patent an idea, have to have a working example .. Whilst making one and securing manufacturing rights another guy beat me to it .. Patented it and it won prince Charles tomorrow's world award...but still not in use today ! But that's another story
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alien ->
As on off topic /on topic thing re inventions , years ago I did indeed invent something but you can't patent an idea, have to have a working example .. Whilst making one and securing manufacturing rights another guy beat me to it .. Patented it and it won prince Charles tomorrow's world award...but still not in use today ! But that's another story
You may as well spit it out. It will help take our minds off all the other heated discussions going on at the moment.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alien ->
Well you can't just leave it at that. It's like a teaser, stop keeping us in the dark and spill the beans.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

20-11-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Well you can't just leave it at that. It's like a teaser, stop keeping us in the dark and spill the beans.
Very dodgy telling Emjay, the CIA are all over the place, we don't want our Alien abducted do we.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top