Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Alfreds Viking Treasure

A recent major discovery was this Viking hoard buried in the 870s in Watlington, Oxfordshire

The find includes 186 rare coins of King Alfred of Wessex & King Ceolwulf II of Mercia, as well as Viking jewellery

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-invaders.html

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2015, 05:27 PM

Re: Alfreds Viking Treasure

Fascinating find, thanks Solo.
I would think it was unusual to find the gold ingots with the coins and jewellery, that would suggest to me someone with a knowledge of Goldsmithing had something to do with the hoard, most of the bar ingots are pickled clean and ready to be hammered out for whatever kind of jewellery is required.
And poor old King Ceolwulf of Mercia was rubbed out by the great Alfred, you can never believe written history, who while in charge of things at the time is going to have his/her official scribes write anything else but praise for themselves and curses for their enemies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 12:10 AM

Very nice I wish I could find some
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 10:58 AM

It's always a nice surprise to see things like this are still there to be discovered. Why and by whom they were buried is always a great guessing game and allows you to conjure up different scenarios and reasons.

The only thing no doubt certain is that the person/s who buried this hoard did not live to return for it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:02 AM

I do love these Dark Age finds, i have a friend who has made some significant finds when out detectoring, mainly in Yorkshire.
solo
UK

13-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I do love these Dark Age finds, i have a friend who has made some significant finds when out detectoring, mainly in Yorkshire.

You can understand why they do it when you see finds like this. To discover a hoard that was placed by another human so long ago with all its story and reasons behind it , must be such a heart stopping moment for them.

I get excited and all over come if a discover a bit of flint in the garden, imagining if it helped kill a dinasaur.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:47 AM

Do remember a documentary on the Sutton Hoo ship burial fascinating stuff, and although its supposed to be the Dark Ages, many finds included stuff from as far away as Byzantium. The craftsmanship displayed on the objects was superb.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:49 AM

It's incredible to think they're over 1000 years old!
solo
UK

13-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
It's incredible to think they're over 1000 years old!
It's one of those times that you wish we could time travel to ask who ever dug that hole their reasons
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Makes you envy the future generations when they go metal detecting, finding bits of laptops, DVD discs, and TV's, how exciting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top