Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Superstitions.

Something Dandysmom said made me wonder about superstitions, People in every Country in the World have different superstitions, and probably every State, Provence, and County. I really only have one...The number thirteen, I would never live in a house numbered thirteen, or back a Horse of the same number. A lot of Horse betting People are very superstitious, I knew a chap in the Bookies and when he wrote out his bet he would painstakingly draw a little four leaf clover on the bottom right corner of the betting slip, don't know if it worked or not, he was a very secretive Fellow.
Have you any particular superstition?.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Re: Superstitions.

I don't believe in them personally and I don't give a monkeys for all that tosh, but a good friend of mine believed in just about every one that you could think of, and most of the time was a nervous wreck through it!
I don't think he ever got through a day without fear, it was either the wrong date, he'd seen the wrong colour cat, ladders, ambulances, you name it, and the most worrying part was that he was a professional pilot... (but I never flew with him)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Ha!, I love it Barry, "This is your Pilot speaking, we can't land , there's a black cat on the runway".
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2011, 09:57 PM

I read this years ago and cannot vouch if it is true.

In the British Navy the unlucky day was Friday( no ship should sail on a Friday) the unlucky number was 13(no ship should set sail on the 13), the Lords at the admiralty wanted to stop this superstition.

So the built a ship called Friday they launched it on a Friday.

The ship set of on its maidan voyage on Friday the 13 Captained by a man called Friday.

The Ship and its crew where never seen again
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

13-06-2011, 10:09 PM

I would be inclined to believe that Galty, wasn't there also something about being third on a match when lighting a fag?, I remember my Dad saying it was something to do with the soldiers in the trench's in the first World war. His Dad was killed in that war.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Don't have any superstitions myself....have never believed in them.....
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I would be inclined to believe that Galty, wasn't there also something about being third on a match when lighting a fag?, I remember my Dad saying it was something to do with the soldiers in the trench's in the first World war. His Dad was killed in that war.
That is true.

It was said that a sniper would see the match ignite and if a third person lighted his fag the sniper killed him... all within 2 seconds
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
My Dad told me that too, jemflux;said it was because the time it took to light 3 cigarettes in the darkness in a trench a sniper could draw a bead on you and fire. Sounds logical ... and though we were never plagued with snipers I never would do three on a match ... yes, silly, I know
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2011, 02:08 AM

I also won't walk under a ladder, I throw spilled salt over my left shoulder, and am wary on Friday the 13th. But me superstitious ...good heavens no!!

Good thread!!
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Never really bother with them, they are a bit like the Horoscopes.

The business about Friday 13th being unlucky, well over here it's Tuesday 13th that supposed to be unlucky. So one has to be wrong.................

We have a friend who believes that the only true fact in a newspaper are the horoscopes. She spends €50 a time consulting her clairvoyant for advice on what to do. Her successful business is currently up for sale, as this is what this charlatan has told her to do.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top