Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Re: Superstitions.

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Re the magpie: the saying got changed to the crow here by the early settlers; I suppose because crows are very common and magpies aren't. To this day when I see a solitary crow I quickly look about for more: One for sorrow, two for joy, etc. Silly, I know, but I do it...

You awake thoughts of Edgar Allan Poe in me.

"Once upon a midnight dreary"

I no the poem refers to a Raven, same family.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Ravens aren't common in this area; used to have many more crows, but all the Corvidae were devastated when West Nile Virus spread.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2011, 06:55 PM

We dont see many up here either, we haveJackdaws, very messy birds, Oh for an air gun. Annie
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2011, 09:56 PM

We don't have jackdaws. Åre they messier than the common pigeon?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
We don't have jackdaws. Åre they messier than the common pigeon?
You should be so lucky darlin' - try Herring Gulls - as big as some chickens and when they crap, you certainly know it!!! In addition, they raid the rubbish bags people have left out for the dustmen, with the result that that rubbish bag is destroyed and rubbish is then strewn across the pavement and road. They also next amongst the chimneys above and around me, and their screeching at dawn wakes me up.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm not so keen on the gulls or the wood pigeons, but I do quite like the jackdaws - very intelligent birds with blue eyes. My daughter once came home with one on her arm. She found it down the fields when she was walking the dogs. It must have been tamed at some time because it had no fear and it was quite used to humans. We kept it at home and it stayed around in the garden. We fed it raw mince and it often slept in the shed. I agree that they are messy though.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

17-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Fortunately we're too far from water so we don't get herring gulls in the City; I remember them well from the days we used to go to the beach; loud and messy! What a nice story about the jackdaw, Åerolor.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Oh they are clever birds, you can almost seetheir minds working.We live in the grounds of a castle and they live in the ruins, but a couple of years ago the castle was repaired byEnglish Heritage and the birds took to the trees, we have a beech treein the garden and next door they have a copper beech so they perch in that.We have wood pidgeons as well but I like those, most of the birds are tame as we feed them. Annie33.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2011, 12:53 AM

Sorry for resurrecting another topic, but I've learned my lesson from starting a new one when one has already been used. I wasn't on this forum when this was started and I almost started a new one - again!

Anyway, I know this may sound a bit odd, but who paints their door numbers on their wheelie-bins? I think probably most folk do, but there's no way I'll paint my door number on mine because my door number is 6, so I refuse to paint 666 on me bins.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

30-11-2011, 02:46 AM

LOL, I did put my house number on my wheelie bin before I moved here to the retirement community. I'm not particularly nervous about the Number of the Beast myself, but every so often there's a piece in the newspaper about someone refusing a license plate or similar because of it ....

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top