Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 06:18 PM

Re: Would you do anything differently ?...

Originally Posted by rueben ->
Hubby gave up nearly three years ago after smoking for 50+yrs. I had tried to encourage him to give up several times over the years but eventually I gave up because basically he didn't want to. Then when he retired he suddenly decided he wasn't going to smoke again. He went cold turkey and hasn't smoked at all since. After all those years I couldn't believe it and under no pressure from anyone else. He even went onto the internet reading about all the horrific stuff that they put into cigarettes something he had stuck his head in the sand about before not wanting to know. I asked him why after all these years and his answer was he wanted to keep living and enjoy his retirement.
That is my story exactly Reuben. I adored smoking, and I have always said that if there really was a god then cigarettes and fried food would be good for you...

I had tried and failed many times over the years to stop smoking, but after I retired something just clicked and I stopped by going cold turkey with very little problem, just being in the right frame of mind I suppose. I must admit to still fancying a smoke occasionally though, but I haven't succumbed, except for standing adjacent to a smoker now and then and breathing unusually deeply...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 06:45 PM

I stopped because I had no choice, my breathing was getting worse. So it was cold turkey; I still had half a carton left, but didn't touch it even though I desperately wanted a smoke. And still do. The carton was given to a friend. I was on oxygen for several months, at first 24/7, then down to nights only, and am off it now. My oximeter readings are about 95, which is OK.

Has any one tried those ridiculous "electronic cigarettes" that mimic real smoking, only with water vapor instead of smoke? Strikes me as a silly waste of money!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 10:16 AM

I gave up smoking 17 years ago. Had no choice, was taken to hospital after collapsing (I had 60 cigarettes in my pockets) and was trapped in bed. Had a drip in my wrist on one side connected to a bottle (Heparin) which the nurses had managed to clamp to the bedhead on the left and on the right I had two large bottles of Oxygen connected to the face mask I had to wear. Stayed like that for five days. At the end of the second day, as ill as I was, I would have 'killed' for a cigarette. Doctor came round and slapped a nicotine patch on my arm and I then had to do a 3 month course of 'patches' when I was discharged from hospital.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Packed up December 2008. Everyone that knows me said i was the last person they expected to stop.
It was a Monday night, I was doing my bingo and quiz night but had a cold coming on. Through the evening it got worse.
At home at midnight I said the the missus, that I was having my last smoke then off to bed, I felt so rough.
I lit up the cig (sorry can't spell cigarette), took one drag and nearly choked, I stubbed it out, and haven't touched on since.
I have had NO cravings, and NEVER have that feeling that I must have a cig.
I am so lucky for it to happen like that.

9 months later I was lying in a hospital bed with BP through the roof. I mentioned that I had stopped smoking 9 months before, the cardiologist (a girl of about 14 years old, God I must be getting old), said 'well done, but it's the previous 40 years that's done the damage'.

But this is the regrets thread...............yes there's loads I regret, but there's bugger all I can do about most of them, so why beat yourself up over it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Was on holiday in Slovakia in 1971, job came up that I could do very easily (apart from the language). I was invited to apply for it, but it meant a lot of hassle, firstly coming back here, doing a cram course in Slovak language and then applying for a visa and work permit. Had I known then what I found out some months later I would have taken that job.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I gave up smoking 17 years ago. Had no choice, was taken to hospital after collapsing (I had 60 cigarettes in my pockets) and was trapped in bed. Had a drip in my wrist on one side connected to a bottle (Heparin) which the nurses had managed to clamp to the bedhead on the left and on the right I had two large bottles of Oxygen connected to the face mask I had to wear. Stayed like that for five days. At the end of the second day, as ill as I was, I would have 'killed' for a cigarette. Doctor came round and slapped a nicotine patch on my arm and I then had to do a 3 month course of 'patches' when I was discharged from hospital.
Uncle Joe, may I have your permission to email a copy of your post to my son & daughter in law?

They laugh when I tell them, they are supposed to attend my funeral, not me theirs.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 02:28 PM

I wouldnt change anything about my life I have loved every minute of it, I have loved and been loved, smoked drank, beeen to many countries and generally enjoyed it all. At least I have good memories as I get old I always feel so sorry for people who have done nothing been nowhere.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
I wouldnt change anything about my life I have loved every minute of it, I have loved and been loved, smoked drank, beeen to many countries and generally enjoyed it all. At least I have good memories as I get old I always feel so sorry for people who have done nothing been nowhere.
But poppycock, some people just do NOT enjoy travelling; yes, we may miss a lot but are happy as we are and do not need to be felt sorry for.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
But poppycock, some people just do NOT enjoy travelling; yes, we may miss a lot but are happy as we are and do not need to be felt sorry for.
There are people who have been everywhere done every thing and are still miserable buggers

To do or not to do that is the question-
Answer being whatever makes you happy
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
There are people who have been everywhere done every thing and are still miserable buggers

To do or not to do that is the question-
Answer being whatever makes you happy
Wise words indeed Norma, wise words......

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top