Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 06:54 AM

Re: Should UK police officers be routinely carrying Tasers?

A bit extreme with the magnum option. Otherwise, you`re only going to get innocent people who find themselves in the wrong place, and in the wrong circumstances shot and killed by an armed police officer whose nerves are very much on edge. So, much better to stick with the tasers for the moment.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bayardicus ->
A bit extreme with the magnum option. Otherwise, you`re only going to get innocent people who find themselves in the wrong place, and in the wrong circumstances shot and killed by an armed police officer whose nerves are very much on edge. So, much better to stick with the tasers for the moment.
Exactly this is the UK not the USA.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bayardicus ->
Why don't other European police officers regularly shoot innocent people?

Come on. Compare like with like.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Why don't other European police officers regularly shoot innocent people?

Come on. Compare like with like.
That's a good question, in fact turn it around and ask why are US police so trigger-happy?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
That's a good question, in fact turn it around and ask why are US police so trigger-happy?
Please don't try to avoid my question.

I am not interested in the US situation. After all, the people there all have the right to bear arms.

I am asking whether armed police in other EU countries works and, if so, why it should not work in this country.

I still await an answer!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:32 PM

If the general public were permitted to carry arms for 'self protection' as they are in America then Yes all police officers should be armed and properly trained on how and when to use them but as long as it is illegal to carry fire arms without a special license in this country then No they should not.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and this is mine.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Yet here we are again.

I am trying to compare us with our nearest neighbours and (at least for the moment) our fellow members of the EU.

My assertion is that the police in other European countries routinely carry firearms. That situation appears to work everywhere with the possible exception of Paris, but even there I believe that knife murders are far less common than in Londonistan.

My repeated questions:

Why should routinely arming our police in the same way as they do in European countries be unacceptable?

Is there any reason why what works in European countries should not work here, and why not?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 02:50 PM

I repeat.
IF THE BRITISH GENERAL PUBLIC ARE PERMITTED TO CARRY GUNS then yes our police should all be trained on how to use guns and carry them.
Until then NO.
You asked for our opinion, I have given mine so there is no need for the "Here we are again"
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I repeat.
IF THE BRITISH GENERAL PUBLIC ARE PERMITTED TO CARRY GUNS then yes our police should all be trained on how to use guns and carry them.
Until then NO.
You asked for our opinion, I have given mine so there is no need for the "Here we are again"
But nobody else is entitled to an opinion, especially if they happen to be a “certain kind” of person.
big ben
United Kingdom

27-08-2019, 03:52 PM

Gun ownership in European countries can in no way be compared to gun ownership in the USA.
European countries.
Switzerland is the highest where there are 45.7 guns per 100 residents
France has 31.2 guns per 100 residents.
Germany has 30.3 guns owned per 100 residents.
The UK has 6.6 guns per 100 residents.
America has 112.6 guns per 100 residents.
Looking at these figures I think we are living in a country where we are likely to be gunned down is very slim. This is my reason for saying our own police force should remain as it is with an armed response team rather than arm them all.
Seeing the figures from America can you wonder that the police force are 'trigger happy' and are likely to pull a gun on you for perhaps just giving them a dirty look.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top