Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Re: Christmas Decorations

I do dislike naff and to me those gingerbread style houses are naff, less is more ive always thought. I have a very pretty tree with simple clear glass baubles or turquoise & silver... this year I think it'll be the latter. I have a couple of freestanding shelf santa & snowman decos and a couple of pretty candle arrangements and thats it. I love the tree lights and the fire on in the evening and getting cosy on the sofa with the other half and the dogs
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Its a lot early not a bit,it must cost a lot to do that, but maybe its to out do the neighbours.I put two sitting down santas either side of the fireplace with their legs dangling and two Robins and thats yer lot.Put Christmas cards in a basket last year saves moving them and picking them up whenevr the door is opened.Sounds a bit Scrooges dont you think.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Much to soon for decorations.

Ours go up on Christmas eve and come down on the twelth night.

I do not believe in the 44 commercial days of christmas, but having said that our Chrismas Catus is flowering so it must be near christmas, maybe we have the wrong dates.
That's probably a variety we call a Thanksgiving cactus here, AB, they do bloom sooner. No buds on my Xmas cacti yet.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
That's probably a variety we call a Thanksgiving cactus here, AB, they do bloom sooner. No buds on my Xmas cacti yet.
Eileen, we have three, one in the Bathroom and two in the Utility room, all three are flowering.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 06:24 PM

My Christmas cactus was flowering last week too, sadly the flowers are dying back now. I also have two stems beginning to form buds on two orchids...hopefully they will be in bloom for Christmas.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Eileen, we have three, one in the Bathroom and two in the Utility room, all three are flowering.
Here are my 4; the hanging one is over 50 years old! The two on the far right and the one beneath the hanging pot are in the 4 - 6 year range; no buds yet. Will post some pics when they flower.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2011, 08:04 PM

I do like the window Eileen and looking at the trees,the cat will like that as well ,she wont miss much sitting there.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

22-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks, Annie, I was lucky to get one of the units with the double window. Yes, Leia likes sitting there watching everything.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2011, 12:51 AM

Like Cassie I think less is more. I find it amazing that people spend weeks putting up the outside lights just for other people to look at and they have to foot the electric bill and don't even get to look at their own lights/decorations!!

Where I used to live there was a house which had loads and loads of lights and also had lots of very big Christmas ornaments in the front garden which increased every year. Anyhow they had a row of little snowmen in the front and I used to walk past there with the dogs quite late at night and the first time the dogs saw them and had a sniff the snowmen burst into song "Santa Claus is coming to town", quite funny really. So after that we often used to walk past there just to hear the singing snowmen, bet it drove the neighbours mad

Where I live now, people put up a few lights but nothing crazy.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 01:39 AM

Well! The house opposite me has now put their lights up. Nothing spectacular, but those horrible blue flashing lights covering their front window which I can't fail to see when I walk through my living room.

Why can't folk at least have the decency to wait till the middle of December? I don't know if it's just me, but I reckon that folk do that to get attention.

I think I've already said, but we never put up decorations and the tree until my birthday on 10th December and it was a happy and special occasion for us both back then, but we never ever put up those garish lights which to me are horrid.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top