Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Ladies what is your view?

We went to town today and whilst in one shop we heard a conversation going on with a sales assistant and a male shopper.
It was all to do with the display of a suit in the window, apparently the shopper objected to the way the handkerchief was sitting in the top pocket of the jacket, he said it should be pointed not flat, the sales lady was trying to be polite by saying that is how we do it here sir, to which the shopper said, listen Darling, if you took time to check fashions you would see it was wrong, but sir, we have always done it that way, but darling you are wrong listen and you will learn,to which the sales lady excused herself and started to walk away, listen Sweetheart do not walk away when I am trying to educate you, at this point the manager of the store appeared just as I was intervening and telling the shopper to leave it. End of story.

I just can not stand people being so patronising by calling people Darling/Sweetheart when they are apparently not even closely aquainted with the person and do not know them from Adam and as for behaving like a complete moron, who in their right mind would talk to anyone that way.

OK ladies how do you feel about people you dont know calling you Darling/Sweetheart or other names of endearment?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Re: Ladies what is your view?

I would have told him my name, Miss Smith, for instance and ask for him to refer to me as such. If he had persisted in calling me by those offensive and patronizing names, I would probably have punched his light out
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I would have told him my name, Miss Smith, for instance and ask for him to refer to me as such. If he had persisted in calling me by those offensive and patronizing names, I would probably have punched his light out

I find it quite patronising if used in the manner above. I dont mind if it is used in a friendly way. It all depends on the person using it and how it is used. One thing I do hate is being called Hon, or honey, that makes me want to scream or worse still Babe, grrrrrrrrrr
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by doglover ->

I find it quite patronising if used in the manner above. I dont mind if it is used in a friendly way. It all depends on the person using it and how it is used. One thing I do hate is being called Hon, or honey, that makes me want to scream or worse still Babe, grrrrrrrrrr
I agree Bridget, it's not really the words, rather than the way they are used that matters. Being working class here in the Midlands all manner of terms of endearment are used between strangers, and not just men talking to women, but women using the same terms to men...sweetheart, darling, love etc. and no-one takes offence if said in the right way.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Depends on how the words "darling" "pet" "sweethart" or whatever are used and who is using it. In this instance AB I would tell them firmly they should mind their own busines and manners - and also "I'm not your darling".

But Doglover if someone wanted to call me "babe" I think I would be flattered
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 04:45 PM

I use terms of endearment with people I 'know' I would never use them with people I dont know from Adam.

I think it is wrong to assume that someone is your 'Darling' 'Sweetheart' 'Love' etc and you should never put a lady into that Category unless you know how they will respond, hense me starting to get involved. It is belittling people in my opinion.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 04:57 PM

From strangers: salespeople, and the like, I find it offensive and would say I am Ms (surname) if you please; from friends don't mind at all; and again it's in the tone. Our Uncle Joe calls all we women darlin' and I don't mind in the slightest as it's just his mannerism and nothing personal meant other than being friendly. Context is important.

What a stupid twit that man was!
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 05:14 PM

I have never in my life called anyone darling or sweetheart or anything like that. I call my dog sweetiepie sometimes but never a person, its just not me but I quite like it if someone says it to me in a nice way. If its used in a patronising way, Im more than capable of telling them how to address me in the proper way and would do.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 05:18 PM

I would have just walked away
and left the man to talk to him self
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Obviously there was a problem with the mans mentality,maybe he was just trying to put her rightI dont know but calling her darling was an impertinance. She should have said oh yes , thankyou and walked away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top