Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 08:23 AM

After the storm Friday.

Good morning everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-hi_gHsqs

Well after yesterdays strong winds I certainly hope everyone is safe and sound.

The evidence was to be seen on our walk this morning with bits of trees scattered about and one lot of fencing uprouted allowing the sheepout onto the bridal path, fortunately they were not into a wandering mood they were all just sat huudled together next to the barn only to move slightly as we approached with our torches. We went to the farm and informed the farmer who sent his dogs to round them up whilst he sat in the barn drinking coffee. Jet just guided them into the nearest field and sat at the gateway.Brilliant dog.

Plans for today are to spend a bit of time in the garden, if the expected snow does not stop us, tidying the plant pots and containers up that the wind sent on a walk about yesterday. Lunch is at home, Steak pudding, Fish Chips and Mushy peas followed by a relaxing afternoon with a book, Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills, David Wescott.

Jemflux you will be in our thoughts and prayers as you and the lads family try to return to some sort of normality, I certainly hope the culprit will be caught soon and dealt with severely.

Rosemary I hope you are still with us and have not been blown away.

Have a great day everyone and remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBjjtBTMQo8
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Re: After the storm Friday.

Good Morning Bob and All Well, I am still here and survived, thank you Bob! The winds reached about 80 mph in some places near me and higher! At Saltcoats, the first seaside town not too far from me, was awful. The waves went right over the esplanade right onto the rail tracks! The schools never opened at all yesterday. I have seen worse, mind you, when I was a wee girl in Govan - during the January gales the wind was about 100 mph and our chimney stack fell thru' the roof and landed on our ceiling, bricks and mortar just missing my Mum and I!! We were 16 weeks with heat (coal fires back then).

It was snowing here earlier but small flakes and didn't lie but snow is forecasted for the weekend! I hate snow worse than storms! Lots of trees were uprooted in the storm yesterday, some landslides as well.

Thinking of Jemflux and her family today xx

Hope everyone will have a calm day today and you enjoy your book, Bob. Sounds good!

Take care - and love the links yet again, Bob, thank you.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Good morning one and all, a lovely sunny day today, the wind has gone, it's still bitter cold but I'm not complaining.
Thank you AB and Brandykins.
Today is the day my good woman puts up her Christmas tree, and woe betide anyone who interferes, or even tries to make suggestions. The best thing to do is give her plenty of space and say nothing, believe me I had to learn this the hard way, so come lunchtime I'll be off to the local for a bit of craic with the other old lads. Oh I can smell the turkey already, rejoice ye miserable wretches who hate Christmas, and break out the wine casks..
Have a great day and take care folks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 12:28 PM

A very good morning one and all the sun is shining, the sky blue and it is quite cold.

I still haven't got rid of my sore throat and chest but feel better and I hope my fellow sufferers are feeling better too.
Mags I hope your husband is coping ok with his shingles, it can be very painful.

I got going early this morning and have already done a days work washing/cleaning etc and am just about to get lunch ready for my son who is popping in shortly .

Have a pleasant day whatever you decide to do .
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Good morning everyone... all nice and calm up here thank goodness. It was quite scary yesterday as was out and about all day in the strong winds. Walked in some local woods yesterday morning only to discover on returning to my car that there was tape across the entrances and a notice saying that the woods were closed for the day because of the winds

I think we have light snow forecast for the weekend but don't think it will come to much!

Nothing particularly exciting planned for rest of day, just the usual office work, oh and trying to keep warm

Enjoy the rest of your day folks
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Good morning everyone. I must share a secret that I chuckle at having to translate some of the speech habits from Europe. I was reading Bob's story about the storm and his use of torches. Understand that for me a torch is fire at the end of a stick. I do know enough about foreign jargon to understand that what Bob refers to as a torch Americans call a flashlight. Basically I'm just happy all is well and the animals didn't wander off.

It's another Friday entrance to the weekend. It's funny how saying that reminds me of the lost emphasis placed on Friday. All days are the same in retirement so I now look forward to each and every day I'm in good health and above the ground.

The holidays are almost upon us and I, for one, have completed my Christmas shopping. I have 3 small gifts to wrap and that will be it. My breakfast crew at McDonald's love the 30-40 photos I handed out as gifts this year. You would think they were small children the way they oohed and ahhed getting to choose the 4-5 prints each that they got to take home. I brought plenty of large manilla envelopes for them to use to protect their goodies.

So, it will be off to McDonald's this morning with nothing else planned for today. I'm starting my second book in a 3 book series by Douglas E. Richards on the "Prometheous Project", a sci-fi novel. At just $.99 per book it makes for very inexpensive excitement. I use an Amazon Kindle reader. Have a great day all!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 02:33 PM

every were is white this morring the chilldren next door woke me up sledding down the drive way
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Hello everyone another sunny and cloudless day here. We went into town early this morning to do the last bit of Christmas shopping, stopped for a coffee, then made our way to the shopping Mall where Katie and her school chums would be singing at midday to raise funds for a local Hospice.

I was a very proud Nan with a lump in my throat as they all sang their hearts out. Katie had two solos to sing as one of the other pupils didn't turn up.
Katie with her school pals....

Have a pleasant day all!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Bless her, she's as pretty as a picture, a little elfin face. This is good enough to frame Mags.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Bless her, she's as pretty as a picture, a little elfin face. This is good enough to frame Mags.
Thank you Mary A few years ago she was such a shy little girl, I never dreamed the day would come when she would sing on her own surrounded by shoppers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top