Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 03:28 PM

Re: Limp around the Lakeside.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you know for sure her eggs are still under her? Could a rat have pinched them?

I know its obviously very different in the wild, but I used to candle my eggs after a week - ten days, because if my birds were sitting on duff eggs, they would still sit there, and sit there, until they got so thin and out of condition, and all for nothing. If they weren't fertile, I could quickly give her some more to look after while she was still in the mood.
She may well be on a second brood Mups, there are no shortage of predators around, rats, heron, pike, lesser black-backed gulls to name a few. Been out for a while today the young pair of Grebes now have 4 eggs, and both parents are sharing the nest duties.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 03:35 PM

It was just a thought. Some of my gals got so broody they'd sit on a doorknob if they had one.
I've seen birds get almost like skeletons sitting, and its such a shame.

How's the foot?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It was just a thought. Some of my gals got so broody they'd sit on a doorknob if they had one.
I've seen birds get almost like skeletons sitting, and its such a shame.

How's the foot?
I fell out with it, giving it the cold shoulder. Mind you all my bits are cold, bad circulation and an ice age, and im still wearing winter woollies.

Ive seen the grebes abandon eggs over the years, and on occasions most hatch but one doesn't. Last year the hatched young were getting stressed as the parents sat on what was probably an infertile egg.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Great photo's Nom
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=Nom;649492]I fell out with it, giving it the cold shoulder. Mind you all my bits are cold, bad circulation and an ice age, and im still wearing winter woollies.

Ive seen the grebes abandon eggs over the years, and on occasions most hatch but one doesn't. Last year the hatched young were getting stressed as the parents sat on what was probably an infertile egg.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean Nom. Mother won't take the youngsters out for food, or take goslings/ducklings for a swim because she thinks there's more to hatch yet.
So much easier to deal with, and help them all survive, when they're in captivity ey.

Nom, it isn't cold today, not here anyway, in fact its 21degrees, so I'm surprised your 'bits' are cold.
If you feel cold in this temperature, its almost def. because of that infection. We've got all the lovely summer coming, surely you'd be happier being able to get out and about doing what you love, and be painfree too? Get help.
Sorry, I know I said I'd keep quiet - just slipped out.

Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Brilliant photo's a joy to see. I have been unable to get to my nearest nature reserve for a while now. Your pics fill in what I am missing.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

12-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks folks, appreciate the response. Saberline i know Durham well, im just up the road, one of my favourite sites is Bishop Middleham quarry, a haven
for wildlife, with exeptional wildflowers, insects and birds.

Mups it is cold here, single figure temperatures and the wind does make feel even colder.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-05-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks folks, appreciate the response. Saberline i know Durham well, im just up the road, one of my favourite sites is Bishop Middleham quarry, a haven
for wildlife, with exeptional wildflowers, insects and birds.

Mups it is cold here, single figure temperatures and the wind does make feel even colder.

Then I'll keep me beak out then. Only trying to help.
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Nom I know Bishop Middleham quarry but did not know it was a wildlife place. I thought it was private. I only live ten minutes away at N/A. I was born at Fishburn. I will have to go and check it out when the weather gets better. A bit windy at the moment.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

12-05-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
Nom I know Bishop Middleham quarry but did not know it was a wildlife place. I thought it was private. I only live ten minutes away at N/A. I was born at Fishburn. I will have to go and check it out when the weather gets better. A bit windy at the moment.
Hi Saberline,its one of Durham Wildlife Trusts reserves, got put on the map when Beeaters bred there a few years ago.

http://www.durhamwt.com/core_pdfs/BI...IDD%20CARD.pdf

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top