Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Political correctness gone mad?

Am I the only person to read this article and believe the situation was wrong on so many levels

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-theater.html

The young man who had downs, was 26 years of age, had an IQ of 40, weighed 294lb, and was known to be volatile and aggressive and yet was in the sole care of an 18 year old female who had been doing the job for a mere three months!!

Yes mistakes were made in the way the Mall/Cinema dealt with the situation but in my opinion far greater mistakes were made by his family and the care organisers.

For a start, however much you love your child, and however painful it would be to admit, common sense would surely make one realise that someone with an IQ of 40 was never going to be capable of being independent.

As for whoever organised his carers, did they not even consider that someone of that size and with his issues would have required at least one, if not two hefty male carers? Crying for his mother notwithstanding, he weighed 294lb and was being extremely violent, what were they supposed to do?
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

I agree with you Daisymay, a difficult situation for all concerned but definitely not a homicide imo, accidental death at most I'd say but of course these days it's usually not about justice which in this case isn't the point ( again, only my opinion) it's more likely compensation encouraged by ambulance chasing lawyers, however the publicity should raise awareness and make people use more common sense when dealing with the mentally incapacitated and be more selective in regard to the people who care for them
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Read this yesterday and my overwhelming feeling was we need to listen to the carers of disabled people and defer to their judgements of the situation, and would it really have been so bad to let an obviously mentally disabled man to watch the film a second time for free.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 09:21 AM

We weren't there and don't know what actually happened, it's obvious that the officers didn't hurt him intentionally and he maybe shouldn't have been left alone to be able to wander back into the cinema, he'd already showed signs of violence, what if they let him in and he hurt another patron, then the guards/ cinema owner would be blamed
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 09:58 AM

The sheriff is undoubtedly to blame for this. He ignored the caretaker's advise and also ignored the fact that the man was mentally impaired, then attempted to deal with him as if he was a 'normal' person. In other words he had only one agenda when faced with this situation and applied it. No experience I suspect of having dealt with mentally impaired people and made a complete cock up of the situation resulting in the man's death.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 09:58 AM

I'm not a big believer in man handling people in distress anyway, best thing to do is back off and defuse the situation. He had it seems become agitated only because the carers suggestions had fallen on deaf ears and security staff decided they knew best. Man lost his life because of that. The carer was trying her best to get assistance and knew to step back was best.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia

21-07-2013, 10:12 AM

The carer left him alone outside the cinema knowing that he was agitated, she should have taken him with her to her car or at least got someone to stand with him until she got back, she was obviously out of her depth, hence the phone calls but as I've already stated.. we weren't there so we're all just speculating on what we've read in the news.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-07-2013, 10:15 AM

Speculating possibly but I think we can deduce a lot from what has been reported. As has been said they tried to treat him as a normal person and he was clearly downs and needed a bit more care and consideration.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Personally I think the sheriff should go in front of a court. His actions caused the escalation to where the man required manhandling. His judgement is obviously very suspect and he shouldn't really be in that job in my opinion.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia

21-07-2013, 10:28 AM

It was an unfortunate tragic incident, not anyone's fault at all, he should never have been left alone in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top