Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 05:38 PM

Re: Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No - I would not. I buy local produce as much as possible - or, at least, it has to be produced in the UK.
We don't produce many bananas or sugar cane.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
No we obviously don't grow bananas and never have done. I can recall though that during the 1950s and 1960s when I grew up we did have bananas, plenty of them. Also we do grow sugar beet which can be used to produce sugar. It's only a matter of growing more to make up for present imports.

https://www.countrysideonline.co.uk/...-nation/sugar/
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 05:49 PM

I would buy Garlic from China Art, to me Garlic taste like Garlic, I am at the moment using Garlic from Spain.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This makes me cross.
What is the point of us having safety regs if we buy in from somewhere that hasn't?

We shouldn't be importing things we can easily grow in this country in the first place.
Exactly. It’s best to choose local produce. It’s fresher, it’s better quality and it supports the area where you live.

Food regulations should be considered and respected.
Bleached garlic is NOT a healthy substitute. Bleach makes the garlic appear healthier while killing fungus and bacteria so the garlic stays fresher, longer. It may very well preserve the garlic but is definitely NOT healthy for human consumption.

It’s similar to getting something FDA approved in another country but not in the one it’s sold in.
Not way.
No how.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 06:04 PM

But are they bleached bananas.
White sugar is always bleached.
That’s why it’s white.
Plus sugar isn’t raw produce
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 08:20 PM

I called back into Asda today and noticed the three garlic pack are currently sourced from Spain, so l bought a pack of three!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
But are they bleached bananas.
White sugar is always bleached.
That’s why it’s white.
Plus sugar isn’t raw produce
My point is much simpler. There are a lot of things we consume and enjoy that we can't/don't grow/produce locally.
Tea and coffee for example.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 06:12 PM

No - I would not. I buy local produce as much as possible - or, at least, it has to be produced in the UK.

I know that, Besoeker, and there are always going to be exceptions to every rule. Sugar cane doesn't worry me - but, obviously, bananas, citrus fruits, mangoes etc., come from elsewhere but, even when buying them, I am choosy about the country of origin.

I stand by my original statement that I would not buy garlic from China for two reasons:-

1) I can buy perfect good local grown garlic.

2) As was pointed out in another response - the growing conditions are totally unacceptable.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

21-09-2019, 06:32 PM

I know that, Besoeker, and there are always going to be exceptions to every rule.
And we can exercise choice. But locally grown isn't always one of them unless you exclude many of the things we like.

And we can't rule on legislation on production in other countries. What we can do is take a stance on what we purchase. Is the country eco-friendly? Are human rights observed?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

21-09-2019, 06:43 PM

My point is much simpler. There are a lot of things we consume and enjoy that we can't/don't grow/produce locally.
Tea and coffee for example.
Yes you are right but hey, why not complicate it up just a tad.
Come on. I’m a tad OCD

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top