Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Re: Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I know that, Besoeker, and there are always going to be exceptions to every rule. Sugar cane doesn't worry me - but, obviously, bananas, citrus fruits, mangoes etc., come from elsewhere but, even when buying them, I am choosy about the country of origin.

I stand by my original statement that I would not buy garlic from China for two reasons:-

1) I can buy perfect good local grown garlic.

2) As was pointed out in another response - the growing conditions are totally unacceptable.
This is how I feel also.
If you have the choice to pick locally grown, best choosing that option. It’s fresher and has less travelling time plus it supporting your local community. It’s ALL good.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
This is how I feel also.
If you have the choice to pick locally grown, best choosing that option. It’s fresher and has less travelling time plus it supporting your local community. It’s ALL good.
Do you drink tea or coffee?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Do you drink tea or coffee?
They could go back to using 'Tea Clippers' that only use wind....And with 'Climate Change' it won't be long before we can grow tea and bananas here...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They could go back to using 'Tea Clippers' that only use wind....
But grown elsewhere and imported.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 08:11 PM

But grown elsewhere and imported.
You're splitting hairs Besoeker, and this thread is fast getting caught up in the detail....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

21-09-2019, 08:14 PM

You're splitting hairs Besoeker, and this thread is fast getting caught up in the detail....
The thread is about importing produce rather than using home grown.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-09-2019, 08:16 PM

The thread is about importing produce rather than using home grown.
The thread is about imported Garlic....Something that can be produced locally.....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

21-09-2019, 08:21 PM

The thread is about imported Garlic....Something that can be produced locally.....
And morphed into locally grown stuff.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 10:27 PM

And we can exercise choice. But locally grown isn't always one of them unless you exclude many of the things we like.

And we can't rule on legislation on production in other countries. What we can do is take a stance on what we purchase. Is the country eco-friendly? Are human rights observed?
Which is exactly why I said in my post that I was choosy about country of origin.

Exactly, Foxy. If it is something that can be produced in the UK or - even better, Yorkshire - then I will not buy imported versions. Time there was another 'I'm backing Britain' campaign!

Yes - I drink tea, Besoeker. Yorkshire Tea - produced by Betty's/Taylor's of Harrogate - who happen to be members of The Ethical Tea Partnership and who are striving to improve conditions/wages for the workers in Assam.

No - I do not drink coffee.

It may be only a drop in the ocean but, at least I am trying to support home growers and - as Tesco never tires of telling us - every little helps!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 04:33 AM

Hi

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to afford to pick and choose.

Many are not, every penny counts.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top