Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Temple elephants

If holidaying in Shri Lanka or any other part of the world who have 'temple elephants', please remember they are not cared for.
70 yrs of abuse , chains and crime. Tikiri passed away in the last couple of days. Visited on 13.9.2019, she had no shelter, no digestible braches or leaves to eat.

I don't expect anyone to answer this post, but please never think the elephants in such places are treated with respect. They are not, they are money making machines and the gullible ones are the tourists, and on those shoulders the guilt sits as much as anywhere else.

Peace at last Tikiri.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Re: Temple elephants

I have visited the elephant sanctuary in sri Lanka and whilst they didn't look anything like the one on your post, I realised that all is not what it seems in these places. Baby elephants are dragged out at feeding time amongst an arena of screaming kids and they are petrified.

I have also seen the temple elephants in Sri Lanka and India. We were the only couple preferring to walk rather than riding on their backs.

The best thing was seeing a family of wild elephants crossing the road.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have visited the elephant sanctuary in sri Lanka and whilst they didn't look anything like the one on your post, I realised that all is not what it seems in these places. Baby elephants are dragged out at feeding time amongst an arena of screaming kids and they are petrified.

I have also seen the temple elephants in Sri Lanka and India. We were the only couple preferring to walk rather than riding on their backs.

The best thing was seeing a family of wild elephants crossing the road.
Good for. You are a considerate tourist. So many of them aren't.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
If holidaying in Shri Lanka or any other part of the world who have 'temple elephants', please remember they are not cared for.
70 yrs of abuse , chains and crime. Tikiri passed away in the last couple of days. Visited on 13.9.2019, she had no shelter, no digestible braches or leaves to eat.

I don't expect anyone to answer this post, but please never think the elephants in such places are treated with respect. They are not, they are money making machines and the gullible ones are the tourists, and on those shoulders the guilt sits as much as anywhere else.

Peace at last Tikiri.

Whilst l totally agree with your concerns PD about the way
tame elephants are treated, but l thought would point out
that an elephants life depends on its teeth,( like most animals )
So if they are unable to chew they do end up looking like
the one in your post! Even wild elephants end up like this?
However l also find it distressing to witness but it is normal!

Best regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Good for. You are a considerate tourist. So many of them aren't.
Thanks Keezoy. We had a hard job convincing our guide that we didn't want to ride the elephant because we felt it was wrong. Somehow he thought we were missing out by not doing it. I would never want to ride on a camel either.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Best regards Donkeyman!
With all due respects Donkeyman, this is not normal. The elephants have been subjected to cruelty beyond belief to break their spirits, as babies, and they are not tame, they have been beaten into submission ! There is no excuse for such, but 70 yrs ago when this little baby was snatched from it's mother, we had no knowledge of what was happening. Now we do, and there should be no excuses for such horrific cruelty.
Add to that, sanctuaries had offered to help, and remove Tikiri numerous times, but it was never allowed.
If you agree that chained , starvation , systematic beatings to control them, feet so sore with stones embedded in them , nails split and abscesses is considered as normal... I think you have been given wrong information from somewhere.
It's like those who think the begging elephants in India are cared for and loved because their owners sleep with them. The fact is the owners have nowhere else to sleep and the elephants provide the funds for their drug habits.

Elephants also love their fruit and soft foods, just the same as we do. The elephant sanctuaries provide all of those fruits and veg for their elephants, mainly because most of them have lost their teeth due to bad nourishment in captivity.

Well done to Longdogs, please never forget the elephants. This elephant didn't get the chance to go to a sanctuary, this photo was taken 10 days ago at the temple where she was kept and the temple that wouldn't release her or allow medical assistance.

Temple of The Tooth, Kandy, Sri Lanka
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Best regards Donkeyman!

Donkeyman, I'm afraid I can't agree with you about this.

If their teeth naturally get so bad the animal looks like a walking skeleton, why don't the captive ones recieve veterinary care for the problem?
Why are they still forced to work when they barely have the strength to stand up anymore?

We would all end up like that if our teeth were allowed to rot away so we could no longer eat, any animal that can't eat would be the same, but we take our animals for treatment and adjust their diets accordingly.
We don't just leave it and allow them to become a bag of bones.

With people like that, money will always come first.
The animals deserve better.
I also blame the tourists for supporting instead of reporting such appalling cruelty.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Donkeyman, I'm afraid I can't agree with you about this.

If their teeth naturally get so bad the animal looks like a walking skeleton, why don't the captive ones recieve veterinary care for the problem?
Why are they still forced to work when they barely have the strength to stand up anymore?

We would all end up like that if our teeth were allowed to rot away so we could no longer eat, any animal that can't eat would be the same, but we take our animals for treatment and adjust their diets accordingly.
We don't just leave it and allow them to become a bag of bones.

With people like that, money will always come first.
The animals deserve better.
I also blame the tourists for supporting instead of reporting such appalling cruelty.
I did say at the beginning of my post Mups that l shared
Your and PDs concerns about the treatment of tamed
elephants,But bthe facts are that elephants, in common with
most other animals either starve to death or become so
weak they become prey for carnivores, thiis is usually due
to their teeth actually wearing out due to constantly chewing
their food!
They only get so many sets of teeth during their life time so
once they gone , the animal is gone!
I agree the elephant in the photo is not nice to see but imo
there is no way to know how it came to be in that condition?
But PD said its age was about 70yrs, which l believe is about
average for a wild elephant, so chances are its teeth were
shot?
Yes, elephants do eat, and love fruit! But the vast majority of
their diet is roughage, which is also essential to their digestive
system, this can be confirmed by examination of their dung?
I am sorry if l offended anyone but l merely point out the
natural scheme of things!
After all, if we saw any of our older citizens without their
clothes on we would probably be outraged as well??

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

25-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
With all due respects Donkeyman, this is not normal. The elephants have been subjected to cruelty beyond belief to break their spirits, as babies, and they are not tame, they have been beaten into submission ! There is no excuse for such, but 70 yrs ago when this little baby was snatched from it's mother, we had no knowledge of what was happening. Now we do, and there should be no excuses for such horrific cruelty.
Add to that, sanctuaries had offered to help, and remove Tikiri numerous times, but it was never allowed.
If you agree that chained , starvation , systematic beatings to control them, feet so sore with stones embedded in them , nails split and abscesses is considered as normal... I think you have been given wrong information from somewhere.
It's like those who think the begging elephants in India are cared for and loved because their owners sleep with them. The fact is the owners have nowhere else to sleep and the elephants provide the funds for their drug habits.

Elephants also love their fruit and soft foods, just the same as we do. The elephant sanctuaries provide all of those fruits and veg for their elephants, mainly because most of them have lost their teeth due to bad nourishment in captivity.

Well done to Longdogs, please never forget the elephants. This elephant didn't get the chance to go to a sanctuary, this photo was taken 10 days ago at the temple where she was kept and the temple that wouldn't release her or allow medical assistance.

Temple of The Tooth, Kandy, Sri Lanka
PD l agree with all the above? However l have allready posted
a reply to Mups on this subject which should imo address
your misunderstanding of my originai post?
Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:21 PM

Donkeyman, I understand what you are saying about teeth wearing down with age - we do agree on that, but the point I was making was, there is still no excuse for making such a skeletal animal still work all day!

Do we know if it is in pain?
Do we know it is under veterinary supervision?
Why can't they retire the poor creature? - MONEY.
If it can't chew, is he/she having the right diet to help?

And lastly, as for the selfish 'riders' it must feel like sitting on a razor blade with that backbone!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top