Join for free
Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Re: Drumming up racial fear and hatred

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Labour, Conservative all stood on mandates that said they would respect the will of the people in the General Election of 2017.

The Lib Dems said they would have a second referendum and now will revoke article 50.
The tories do not have a majority. How many have now defected? Parties change policies to adjust to changing circumstances. Its nothing new.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's simply not true. There is nothing to compare with what Boris has done/continues to do. The "rabble" is democracy in action. It has always been this way. If you prefer kow- towing the north korea is a shining example.
You have to consider that Parliament does not represent the result of referendum. They are mostly remain and trying to stop Brexit.

This is not democracy it is a complete shambles correctly called out by Geoffrey Cox yesterday.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 02:05 PM

It's all about boris ogf. If you think he really cares about the17.4m then think again. The parliament has been voted in democratically. It's not up to one man to decide parliament should be gagged. It's not in the interests of the 17m to support such an action.
I really don't care if he cares for me or not as long as he cares for his country and is getting us out of the EU I am happy. If he has to do it again I'm behind him. I see Jo Swinson is doing her best to ruin the conservative party conference and brexit by deliberately trying to tie Boris up in legal knots during the next week or so. At least the other parties have said they respect the right to the conference and were willing to table votes it didn't matter if the tories were there or not. That's the sort of thing his is up against. People with too much money they are using the courts to stop what he and they said they would do at the last election.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 02:07 PM

You have to consider that Parliament does not represent the result of referendum. They are mostly remain and trying to stop Brexit.

This is not democracy it is a complete shambles correctly called out by Geoffrey Cox yesterday.
Parliament is not there to represent only half the population. But those being accused of trying to stop brexit are those who are in favour of a deal. That imo is not trying to stop brexit but perfectly sensible. If leave voters want remain to accept brexit then that can only be with a sensible deal. Many leave voters also want a deal. The no deal shenanigans has to stop or there will be no brexit at this rate.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Parliament is not there to represent only half the population. But those being accused of trying to stop brexit are those who are in favour of a deal. That imo is not trying to stop brexit but perfectly sensible. If leave voters want remain to accept brexit then that can only be with a sensible deal. Many leave voters also want a deal. The no deal shenanigans has to stop or there will be no brexit at this rate.
Parliament is supposed to be enacting the will of the people. it was said many, many times in the referendum that in the event a deal was not able to be agreed with the EU then the UK would leave without one. It was the Prime Minister at the time, David Cameron who said that.

Who is enacting the will of the people in Parliament at the moment ... any ideas ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I really don't care if he cares for me or not as long as he cares for his country and is getting us out of the EU I am happy. If he has to do it again I'm behind him. I see Jo Swinson is doing her best to ruin the conservative party conference and brexit by deliberately trying to tie Boris up in legal knots during the next week or so. At least the other parties have said they respect the right to the conference and were willing to table votes it didn't matter if the tories were there or not. That's the sort of thing his is up against. People with too much money they are using the courts to stop what he and they said they would do at the last election.
All that proves is that Boris is not the right leader for this time in history. Unfortunately the right person is not in office. With such a slim majority and given the gravity of the change, did anyone think this would be plain sailing? What we will end up with is BRINO. Something that neither side wanted but that's compromise for you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Parliament is supposed to be enacting the will of the people. it was said many, many times in the referendum that in the event a deal was not able to be agreed with the EU then the UK would leave without one. It was the Prime Minister at the time, David Cameron who said that.

Who is enacting the will of the people in Parliament at the moment ... any ideas ?
I don't expect them to carry out the will of the people because people have a myriad of conflicting interests. On such a decisive issue I expect them to come to a compromise. The"will of the people" is such a cliche. It should be the will of half the people.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

26-09-2019, 02:46 PM

I don't expect them to carry out the will of the people because people have a myriad of conflicting interests. On such a decisive issue I expect them to come to a compromise. The"will of the people" is such a cliche. It should be the will of half the people.
The people voted in a huge majority to leave the EU.

Any compromise is not Brexit and not what we voted for. We voted to leave the single market, the customs union and the ECJ. We voted to take back control of our territorial waters, our money and our borders.

In an election there is never a compromise manifesto. There is no such compromise in a referendum or there is no point in having one.

If the vote went in favour of remain by 52/48 would you agree a compromise to leave the single market and the customs union and instead join EFTA ?

No ... didn't think so
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

To go back to the OP.

I voted Leave, I have two Polish Lodgers for 6 months of the year, they have a very successful business here.

When I had the big house, I also put up foreign NHS Staff who had just arrived here until they found accommodation.

I employed Muslims.

I am absolutely fed up with being called a Racist for voting leave.

I think leaving with no deal is absolutely stupid.

The more I am called a Racist, Xenophobic Nazi the more I am inclined to accept leaving with No Deal.
This...^^^

I partially voted leave due to the uncontrolled immigration.
There are simply too many people in the country and our infrastructure cannot cope.
There is nothing racist about wanting controlled immigration, and it's not about a dislike of the immigrants themselves per se.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-09-2019, 04:04 PM

If the vote went in favour of remain by 52/48 would you agree a compromise to leave the single market and the customs union and instead join EFTA ?

No ... didn't think so
We already had a compromise. We had no euro, no schengen, a rebate etc.

I'd expect them to uphold that and to raise our profile in the EU to match our big country status. The problem IMO is that in the past our politicians have been very complacent about our relationship with the EU. Instead of making an effort to take the steering wheel they having whinged and whined and blamed the EU for their own poor policy decisions.

Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top