Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Decorating on dark days.

Hi

I loathe emulsioning on these dark days, very difficult to see where I have been, so keep missing bits.

Any tips from all you experts?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Re: Decorating on dark days.

Swimmy I had the same problem a few years ago when I decided to decorate my sitting room in the winter .

The problem is made worse when applying the same colour /a second coat .Having a light on doesn't help it creates shadows.

When doing the skirting board I made sure I did not block the light from the window with my body .

Best to wait for a bright day is all I can suggest. Good look
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Swimmy, what about trying a daylight bulb in your light fitting? I use one when cross-stitching and find it makes a difference. They are widely available in Wilko, Argos, etc, and cheap too.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 11:24 AM

If you’re painting a wall or ceiling, why not divide the area into small sections using small pieces of masking tape..?, then you can make the area as big or as small as you wish, other than that you can buy a work light on a tripod and arrange the light as you wish
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 12:45 PM

I do all my decorating in the winter and can't say I have this problem.

When doing walls there always seems to be enough light to reflect off the wet paint so I can see where I've been.

My biggest problem is ceilings. The first coat is always bog standard white emulsion, the new paint is always brighter than the old. For subsequent coats I use that Dulux Magic white emulsion that goes on pink and dries white.

I do mentally divide up large areas, as in pick an imaginary line on the wall or ceiling and paint up to it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 01:01 PM

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The kitchen lights, where I am painting, are very bright daylight leds.

I have just nipped to Toolstation and bought a worklight for under £30.

It works.

Thanks again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top