Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Re: Vietnam

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I am not that bored

Tell you what, pm me the answer you are really wanting
I stated my question clearly and succinctly. You continue to evade it.

Have a good day.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Thanks AT, question answered.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 05:16 PM

Apparently the us were pressing Britain to send troops to Vietnam, but the pm of the day was having none of it..
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Some SF were deployed if you can believe the tales, but Australia and NZ were involved, Canadians crossed the border and joined the US forces.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 11:37 PM

I was 20 in 1972. My number came up in the draft and I was selected for national service. I could easily have been sent to Vietnam along with several of my friends. As it turned out the Whitlam government came to power and abolished national service that year so I didn't end up in the army at all. But I didn't escape the horror of the "television war" night after night at 6 pm. It's not something that I enjoy remembering. Australia and NZ lost nearly 550 soldiers there. We got off very lightly compared to others. Our family lost one member after 15 or so years of painful disability after being wounded.What was achieved?..Depends on who you ask. I think that is the only answer worth giving. If you see "achievement" as meaning something positive. The North Vietnamese certainly see their victory as an achievement as it unified the country. The US had to face the fact that with all their might they lost the war against a determined, highly intelligent and unified foe. So did we. So IMO, the Vietnam war achieved absolutely nothing. I don't see $millions made by arms dealers and other hangers on as any kind of achievement in the normal application of the word. In any event millions of people died. If nothing else I think they deserve to be remembered with some dignity. Not point scoring.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 12:12 AM

You are right , KEEZOY.
I think that is why Trump is pulling out of the r with the Kurds Et al .
As he said quite rightly * we cannot be the policemen* let Nato have a go*
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
You are right , KEEZOY.
I appreciate that acknowledgement Apricot. Mine is only one opinion. AS somebody said here there have been endless books, articles, essays, documentaries, movies etc made about the Vietnam War. So apart from arms dealers and manufacturers it has provided a lot of source material for a lot of writers and movie makers to make $millions as well. But still is that "achievement" ?..I don't know. I think the thing about Vietnam was and still is is this. Other major wars in the 20th century although having all the obscenity, misery pain and death and much more that Vietnam had, had, I guess more clear reasons for happening. In WW1 it was to counter German aggression and expansionism. In WW2 it was the same thing over again only ten times worse. The "free" world was united against a foul, psychotic monster. The objective was clear. Stop him at any cost. The war was declared and it was fought for the sake of basiC human freedom. Like my Dad said who fought at El Alamein.."I did it for my country, the world and most of all for you son". When those men and women returned they were heroes and they were honoured. But Vietnam was a war without a "soul" or any real reason apart from for the people of Vietnam. When soldiers returned from there they were abused and called "baby killers" It was just pure filth from start to finish for EVERYBODY. When you're by far the biggest kid on the block, all the other kids will always hope that you will keep them safe from bullies and bastards that want to hurt them. And I guess that will always be your role. Australia and New Zealand have the same role on a much smaller scale in the South Pacific. The only thing we can all hope I suppose is that the "policemen" whoever they are will apply the "Spiderman Principle"..With great power comes great responsibility.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 12:41 AM

You are right , KEEZOY.
They've only moved around the corner to Iraq. I read a very interesting article today about that whole affair. It gives a good insight into the truth behind the veil, but as it's a different topic, can't repeat it here.
I do find it concerning that as the US pull out of Syria, Lebanon is this very moment going though the same motions as Syria did at the onset, 9yrs ago. It started in Beirut about 5 days ago with protests in the streets against the government, now it's progressed to 'stand offs' with the army !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 04:16 AM

You are right , KEEZOY.
Did he say that? I recall he said that Syria was 7000 miles away so didn't concern the US. I assume that means it will be the same for Israel.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 09:18 AM

US have always been at war with one or another. Mapped out well in advance. When we take look around, it's fairly obvious who the main aggressors are in this world. We should keep our noses out .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXS3vW47mOE

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top