Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 12:01 AM

Re: Mass Protests

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Our council are considering plans to build ANOTHER 150 houses locally. There are meetings in place for people to air their views and no doubt there will be protests. Okay, so it will not be a mass protest but we all know that the council will simply plough through with their plans despite local people's opinions.
Strange you should mention that LD. Our local council have put forward plans to build 12,000 houses on greenbelt land over the next 15 yrs. a) we don't need 12,000 houses, b) they will not be affordable, c) there are plenty of brownfield sites available for at least 7,000 homes.

Our local councillor had meetings with the local inhabitants. It was jammed with people hanging through windows to hear what was being said. The 'labour' councillor gave his assurances that he would endeavour to do everything he could to stop the developments in certain areas on green belt and picturesque countryside. Roll on a few months and he voted twice in succession to support the councils plans .

At the moment everything has gone quiet again, so we don't really know whether or not it's been passed or been put on the back boiler.

It's no wonder people get angry, but I think those in other countries would swap places to live with our insignificant woes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Strange you should mention that LD. Our local council have put forward plans to build 12,000 houses on greenbelt land over the next 15 yrs. a) we don't need 12,000 houses, b) they will not be affordable, c) there are plenty of brownfield sites available for at least 7,000 homes.

Our local councillor had meetings with the local inhabitants. It was jammed with people hanging through windows to hear what was being said. The 'labour' councillor gave his assurances that he would endeavour to do everything he could to stop the developments in certain areas on green belt and picturesque countryside. Roll on a few months and he voted twice in succession to support the councils plans .

At the moment everything has gone quiet again, so we don't really know whether or not it's been passed or been put on the back boiler.

It's no wonder people get angry, but I think those in other countries would swap places to live with our insignificant woes.
It is so sad to hear of more greenbelt land being lost forever. Councillors often pretend to object because they want to keep their position but eventually it will all be for nothing and no amount of protest will stop them. As for people in other Countries, a lot of them come here anyway which doesn't help our housing shortage.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Maybe not what's meant here by "Mass Protests", but ...

In the last year or two, I've taken to photographing protesters, demonstrators, nutters of different types on the streets of London, a hobby I enjoy. Brexiters, remainers, gays, naked cyclist, XR, strikers, feminists, etc. And sometimes these people talk to me about their problems, and I've deduced that there's a lot of lonely people out there who simply enjoy taking part, belonging to the group enjoying an alternative day out.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 05:36 PM

If you're out in the shires with too much time on your hands, from student to OAP, you can join XR, get a free coach trip up to the big city, somewhere to camp, with meals included. The more serious one's are those that get themselves arrested, but it seems most are there just to make up the numbers, lay on some entertainment, show the happy side.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

In the last year or two, I've taken to photographing protesters, demonstrators, nutters of different types on the streets of London, a hobby I enjoy. Brexiters, remainers, gays, naked cyclist, XR, strikers, feminists, etc. And sometimes these people talk to me about their problems, and I've deduced that there's a lot of lonely people out there who simply enjoy taking part, belonging to the group enjoying an alternative day out.
Yes, I can believe that. That's why protesters here don't always come across as genuine I suppose, more likey in it for the fun or as you say, to be part of something. Watching protesters in other Countries, I tend to believe them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

Do wonder why you included this group?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

25-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Do wonder why you included this group?
Brexiters? Why ever not?

Those pictured above are, no doubt, dedicated brexiters, but there were also a lot of people along for the ride. Those who don't want their picture taken, those who are not holding placards or dishing out leaflets, they're not demonstrators.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 08:56 AM

PD.
You say in your original post "turning it,s back on everyone else,s problem apart from their own"
I think this country is doing just the opposite and helping other countries with all this 'foreign aid' and not bothering with the problems like poverty, homelessness etc; in our own country.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
pd.
You say in your original post "turning it,s back on everyone else,s problem apart from their own"
i think this country is doing just the opposite and helping other countries with all this 'foreign aid' and not bothering with the problems like poverty, homelessness etc; in our own country.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
PD.
I think this country is doing just the opposite and helping other countries with all this 'foreign aid' and not bothering with the problems like poverty, homelessness etc; in our own country.
I understand your point ,big ben. However, foreign aid does not get distributed to every country in need or every people in need and I think that it's difficult to have the same meaning of the word of poverty in this country and some of the other countries.
Which ever way it is, how often do we hear about the Rohingya people now, a stateless people who have nothing ?
Kurds are stateless , and being murdered .

I also remember a thread about the homeless people in this country who beg on the streets. A vast majority of replies indicated that they would not give money to those people who are begging, because they might use it for alcohol or drugs. In my book, if it gets them through another night, what does it matter ? They have nothing else... that is poverty and homelessness .
A personal decision people make not to give, but that homeless person is still there, and homeless. We turn our backs on what we can't face.
Also classed in this country as homelessness are people who do not have their 'own home', which is different to those who do not have shelter.

The Christian charities are trying to raise money to help the persecuted Christians in many different parts of the world, but they are condemned because they are raising the plight of Christians and not openly offering to help anyone else. The fact is they do help anyone who asks, but rather than ask questions people who oppose such measures because the word 'Christian ' is visible , they rebuke and turn their backs because they feel charity should begin at home.
They fail to understand that the charities also help those in need at home too.

I've probably wandered off the topic here, but everything connects and if Venezuelans starve to death, is it not our problem to listen to their mass protests and cries for help because our charity begins at home ?

How many are likely to help with the national scheme by volunteering for night shelter for the homeless this winter in this country ?

At the same time, those families in sheltered accommodation or hostels can't afford rent, or maybe have been placed in a bad situation where benefits are not enough. Should they receive more benefits to pay the higher rents ? The answer to that is probably a foregone conclusion.

We are not so righteous as we would like to think we are.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top