Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

19-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Was the old stuff more fun?

Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Re: Was the old stuff more fun?

Originally Posted by Aafak ->
Very funny in its time. Warren Mitchell was exactly the opposite of his character. I read recently that Warren and Dandy Nichols didn't actually like each other
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Yes the old comedy's were funny and clean humour.
You can add Warren Mitchell to the list of who I picked up in my cab when I was working.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 10:51 AM

I was never a big fan of Till Death us do part - and it was a bit before my time - I was a child when it aired.
Some were oblivious to the fact that Johnny Speight, the writer was satirising racist attitudes and criticised it for these.

Ironically, many who who held similar opinions to Alf Garnett enjoyed it, such as my late father - missing the point that Alf's opinions were considered offensive and that they were being ridiculed.
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

19-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Yes the old comedy's were funny and clean humour.
You can add Warren Mitchell to the list of who I picked up in my cab when I was working.
Was that a Black Cab Emjay
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 12:20 PM

I never found 'Till death ' the least bit funny and many of the earlier 'comedies' grated on me because of the interminable canned laughter which detracted from anything that was said.

Never really liked slapstick humor or farce either preferring wit and satire .
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
I was never a big fan of Till Death us do part - and it was a bit before my time - I was a child when it aired.
Some were oblivious to the fact that Johnny Speight, the writer was satirising racist attitudes and criticised it for these.

Ironically, many who who held similar opinions to Alf Garnett enjoyed it, such as my late father - missing the point that Alf's opinions were considered offensive and that they were being ridiculed.
He played a great part and indeed was the exact opposite of his character. Against bigotry.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 02:04 PM

I didn't laugh at or like Til Death, either, it was a rather aggressive humour. I did laugh and still do at, Faulty Towers! At first, l didn't like Some Mothers Do Have Them, then l got used to the humour and thought it was funny. I loved, Just Good Friends.

At the moment, l am finding the new comedy series 'Camping' on Sky Atlantic very funny!
Goldielocks
Spain

19-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I didn't laugh at or like Til Death, either, it was a rather aggressive humour. I did laugh and still do at, Faulty Towers! At first, l didn't like Some Mothers Do Have Them, then l got used to the humour and thought it was funny. I loved, Just Good Friends.

At the moment, l am finding the new comedy series 'Camping' on Sky Atlantic very funny!
I think what the programme was trying to say that there were actually characters like Alf Garnet out there. It was shocking to watch and some people even thought he was real. I preferred lighter comedy like ever decreasing circles and butterflies but glad I watched Alf so you knew how to avoid that type of man
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aafak ->
Was that a Black Cab Emjay
Yes. Is there any other?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top