Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Anyone changed career?

Has anyone changed career direction and if so from what to what and why?
No reason for the question just something I heard on the radio today.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Re: Anyone changed career?

Magazine publishing for a year
Riding Instructress for 5 years
Ran a Community Centre for a couple of years
Community Artist and drama teacher till present.
Am now thinking of just being a Visual artist.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 06:43 PM

I worked 17 years in an Accounts office when I left school, then left to raise my family......... did the odd bit of part time work while they were at school.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 07:17 PM

I left school and worked in an accounts department, then worked at a well known Domestic appliance manufacturer as a print finisher and progressed to lithographic printer, then went into a big printing firm as a print finisher (for the money!) left when I was pregnant (which went horribly wrong). I then worked at Sandy Point Hospital, Hayling Island as a Nursing Assistant, we moved and I didn't drive so I had a break, then worked in our own business and then went on to my current position of Receptionist at a country park. I did also do a bit of temping.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Worked as Audio-Typist then got job in Housing Department of the Council. Worked my way up the ladder to become Housing Manager. After nearly 30 years (you get less for murder ) I took voluntary redundancy and early retirement (great feeling only 50 and retired ). I now work 3 hours a day at my Vets completing Insurance Claim Forms for Clients.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Not voluntarily, Kazz. Worked 39 years in Accounts Receivable; when the company was sold and moved to Baltimore I got a position as receptionist/file clerk and general dogsbody in a group of physicians office. Retired early at 63 1/2 after 4 years there.
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

20-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes. I used to be :
Apprentice hairdresser
Office manager for a training company
I now run a team of technicians who fix on-bus ticketing equipment.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 01:38 AM

I did an apprenticeship as a painter and decorator when I left school, in my 20's I had so many different jobs they called me a rolling stone.

Machine Moulder,
Civil Engineering,
Docker,
Fork Lift Driver,
Warehouseman,
Support Technician,
Despatch Clerk,

I eventually retired from a petro-chemical company as a stock locator in the engineering stores.
Lainey
Aberdeen
Lainey is female  Lainey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 06:24 PM

I did odd factory work when younger then got into the post office and remained there for 13 years or so, as that began to change dramatically and we were pushed to get sales for insurance etc, I jumped ship and worked in a pet shop for a few years, hated that so set up on my own as a pet sitter/dog walker and absolutely love it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 08:58 PM

I am a bit like Nero, have changed course too many times I did my apprenticeship with Pye Telecom part of the group that made Pye radios and TV's which some of you may remember.

Have been at various times:-
Telecom system designer
Security equipment salesman
Oil pipeline technician (Saudi Arabia)
Company 'resident representative' (Papua and New Guinea)
Debt collector (In between contracts)
Oil rig telecoms technician (Australia)
London Underground quality control engineer
Landfill power generator technician
Mobile phone engineer (Orange )
And a few other jobs for the MoD which I don't think I'm allowed to mention on here

Problem I had was I couldn't work with fools and generally opted to move on rather than put up with them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top