Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Nextdoor....Is It Ok And Genuine?

I received a letter in the post this morning from someone who lives in a road near me.
I don’t know the man but he has invited me (and l suppose others too) to join a free website called Nextdoor.
The letter states that the website is 100% free, private and just for our neighbours.
It asks me to go on the Nextdoor website and enter a code that is only valid for 7 days.

I suppose it’s ok, isn’t it? Or is there no such thing as a free lunch?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Re: Nextdoor....Is It Ok And Genuine?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I received a letter in the post this morning from someone who lives in a road near me.
I don’t know the man but he has invited me (and l suppose others too) to join a free website called Nextdoor.
The letter states that the website is 100% free, private and just for our neighbours.
It asks me to go on the Nextdoor website and enter a code that is only valid for 7 days.

I suppose it’s ok, isn’t it? Or is there no such thing as a free lunch?
Have you asked your neighbours if they have received one? If not, I'd give it a swerve.

Also, a bit strange that it was sent in the post. If the guy lives near your road, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't just hand-deliver them.

Also, was the letter addressed to you? Or just to the occupier? If addressed to me, I'd also be suspicious.

I could understand it if it was part of a local community forum or suchlike, but if it didn't say that, it sounds weird.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:05 PM

Just Googled it Art and it seems to be genuine. It was started in San Francisco but has obviously made it's way here. I'm not sure what the code is all about and why it is only valid for seven days though. I would Google some reviews if I were you to see if it is worth signing up to.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:06 PM

Yes art it's genuine and a very helpful site too . I've been a member for years and find recommended work men on their . Lots of other help too .
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Yes, I've just googled it.

What would put me off is having to put my real name and address on it, and I don't know what other info they want. I know it's supposed to be a closed website, but I would still worry about it.

Plus, you wouldn't want to say you were going on holiday, or when you are out, or living alone!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:08 PM

I agree with Longlegs, just be cautious Art.
There is a local forum where I live, I never joined.
I spend too much time here.
Anyway, I have many friends to meet up with.
I do neglect that fact at times.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Have you asked your neighbours if they have received one? If not, I'd give it a swerve.

Also, a bit strange that it was sent in the post. If the guy lives near your road, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't just hand-deliver them.

Also, was the letter addressed to you? Or just to the occupier? If addressed to me, I'd also be suspicious.
Pyxell, I also, thought it a bit odd that the letter was posted when he could have walked just a short way.
It is addressed to, .......... neighbour. In the left hand corner on the envelope, it states, From, ......... Neighbours. (Dots are the area)
I did google his name and found he does live in the road mentioned.
I can’t understand the urgency to sign up within 7 days. Does he make something out of it?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:25 PM

I used to belong to a local forum called Streetlife which was really good, and very helpful if you were looking for a recommendation for work on the house/garden etc.
But then it was taken over by a bigger more commercial site, might've been the one you mentioned, and you couldn't join in an anonymous way you had to give your post code and street.
So me being me, "Sod that for a game of soldiers" I said to myself, and didn't join.

Edit: just googled Streetlife forum, to check the veracity of my post and came across this site and this comment which backs up what I thought...
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat...life-so-useful

The Streetlife site is finishing and we are asked to move to Nextdoor. When we moved to Hampshire from Kent we found Streetlife invaluable as a source to find good trades people, hairdressers, dentist, exercise classes etc. No one on our local Streetlife seems to like Nextdoor and complain that private information is not protected. It seems crazy to get rid of such a useful web site. Apologies if no one has a clue what I'm on about.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I used to belong to a local forum called Streetlife which was really good, and very helpful if you were looking for a recommendation for work on the house/garden etc.
But then it was taken over by a bigger more commercial site, might've been the one you mentioned, and you couldn't join in an anonymous way you had to give your post code and street.
So me being me, "Sod that for a game of soldiers" I said to myself, and didn't join.

Edit: just googled Streetlife forum, to check the veracity of my post and came across this site and this comment which backs up what I thought...
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat...life-so-useful

The Streetlife site is finishing and we are asked to move to Nextdoor. When we moved to Hampshire from Kent we found Streetlife invaluable as a source to find good trades people, hairdressers, dentist, exercise classes etc. No one on our local Streetlife seems to like Nextdoor and complain that private information is not protected. It seems crazy to get rid of such a useful web site. Apologies if no one has a clue what I'm on about.
ruthio, Your edited bit is very interesting. The bit about your private information not being protected, sets off alarm bells.

Edit.. I have just looked on that thread and one of the posters mentioned something about you have to recruit ten neighbours to join up. ????? The plot thickens.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Do you need to join or really want to is the question? Can you not just talk to neighbours. Face to Face anyway

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top