Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Re: Nextdoor....Is It Ok And Genuine?

Why do you need to join a website about neighbours when you can talk to them in the street?
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 04:54 PM

I would avoid it like the plague but then I am a tad anti social
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 05:22 PM

I was a member of Streetlife. It wasn't just about chatting to neighbours. It was more for being aware of and discussing events/problems relevant to the general area. Pot holes, sections of roads prone to flooding, new buildings or houses being erected ...all that type of thing.

When Streetlife closed and we were encouraged to join Nextdoor, I didn't bother. I'd read about it not being very private.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Why do you need to join a website about neighbours when you can talk to them in the street?

Took the dog out today and noticed a woman from a few doors down glaring down at us from at an upstairs window wearing sunglasses.

I kid you not I thought it was Norman Bates's mother .

One neighbour I can well do without .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I used to belong to a local forum called Streetlife which was really good, and very helpful if you were looking for a recommendation for work on the house/garden etc.
But then it was taken over by a bigger more commercial site, might've been the one you mentioned, and you couldn't join in an anonymous way you had to give your post code and street.
So me being me, "Sod that for a game of soldiers" I said to myself, and didn't join.

Edit: just googled Streetlife forum, to check the veracity of my post and came across this site and this comment which backs up what I thought...
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat...life-so-useful

The Streetlife site is finishing and we are asked to move to Nextdoor. When we moved to Hampshire from Kent we found Streetlife invaluable as a source to find good trades people, hairdressers, dentist, exercise classes etc. No one on our local Streetlife seems to like Nextdoor and complain that private information is not protected. It seems crazy to get rid of such a useful web site. Apologies if no one has a clue what I'm on about.

Ruthio's right, Art, and I totally agree with Mart's post as well.

I used to belong to the local Streetlife too, until they wrote and said it was all changing to this thing you said about.
I chose not to join the new one as, like others have said, it is not private enough.

It's a pity, because sometimes the old version was handy.
You got recommendations of local tradesmen, and news about any local problems going on, road works, and all sorts.

Why do people always try to fix things that aren't broken!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 05:57 PM

I've been a Nextdoor member for a couple of years now here in W London. I like it and look in once or twice a day. I do use my real name but not my surname (1st and 2nd given names are my real names ) and the name of my street but not house number. Street names are visible to others in the neighbourhood (ward), but only the name of my neighbourhood is shown outside the neighbourhood. If you post something (start a thread) you can configure it to show in your neighbourhood only or plus the surrounding neighbourhoods as well. A conversation can spread further a field.

I'm careful what I say, avoiding political comment, sarcasm and stuff. The site is useful for local news, communicating with local bobbies and town hall bods.

Artangel ... some members think it's cool to invite newbies and it is easy for them to do ... click on something and type in an address, Nextdoor then put a card in the post. You don't know the man, so maybe ignore it then consider joining independently, omitting your house name/number.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 06:40 PM

I'm using the same name as I used on the old Streetlife but I think anyone not ex-Streetlife might have difficulty joining without using their real name. Therefore one might want to sign up using their name, then immediately change the display name in their 'Profile'.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I received a letter in the post this morning from someone who lives in a road near me.
I don’t know the man but he has invited me (and l suppose others too) to join a free website called Nextdoor.
The letter states that the website is 100% free, private and just for our neighbours.
It asks me to go on the Nextdoor website and enter a code that is only valid for 7 days.

I suppose it’s ok, isn’t it? Or is there no such thing as a free lunch?
I got a similar letter but I binned it. If I want to know about tradesmen etc I ask on my local FB page & as I know most there, it works well.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:20 PM

I joined next door for free,I love it there,I also belong to time bank.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:23 PM

In my capacity of DCI Artangel of Scotland Yard, l decided to make a call to the man who the letter came from.
I went to the Close but it had a gated entrance that l needed a code to enter.
I decided to lurk around for a few minutes to see if another resident could let me in. I didn’t wait long as a young boy of about 12 came out of a house, ran over in his socks and let me in!
I thanked him and asked how would l get out again, he then gave me the code for the gate! I said, l wouldn’t remember, so he said he would leave it open.

I went to the house of the man l came to see and knocked on the door. A lady, came to the door and l asked, if she knew anything about a letter l had been sent to enrol with Nextdoor.
She said, ‘ l received one of those’!
I was now feeling very puzzled. She said, he lives in the next Close down’! Feeling foolish, I apologised profusely and went to the next Close down.

Again this was another gated entrance but the gate was open. I found the house and knocked on the door but no one was in.

There was a very inviting garden seat outside the front door and l felt like sitting there and waiting for him but l didn’t!

I am now wondering if my suspicious antics have now been posted on the Nextdoor website for my area.
My other concern is, that lovely helpful young boy giving out the code for the gate to a stranger!

Outcome, Mission aborted!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top