Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 09:39 PM

Digital Switchover...

.....is going to cost me money as I don't have a digital recorder. In about 4 weeks the switchover is taking place where I live so I'm going to have to go out and buy a digital recorder. I don't want one of those 'all singing and dancing' ones-just a bog standard one with not too many buttons to press-does one of these exist? I've also decided to treat myself to a new TV as well-one of those flat screen ones. Have got a small TV at moment with Freeview box. Sounds like I'm still in the dark ages, but I'm not because I dragged myself into the 21st Century by buying a Laptop in April this year! So upwards and onwards-Currys/Comet or whoever here I come
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 10:15 PM

Re: Digital Switchover...

Good luck, merz. I don't know how different your system there is, but we had to switch from analog to digital TV in June, and I hate it. Had to buy 2 new TVs as I could not figure out how to install the converter boxes. The signal is not as strong and often turns into jumping pixels when you move around near the set, and cannot get two of my old channels at all. Not all change is progress IMO! One good thing, I did find a good food channel!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Good luck, merz. I don't know how different your system there is, but we had to switch from analog to digital TV in June, and I hate it. Had to buy 2 new TVs as I could not figure out how to install the converter boxes. The signal is not as strong and often turns into jumping pixels when you move around near the set, and cannot get two of my old channels at all. Not all change is progress IMO! One good thing, I did find a good food channel!
The change here is from analog to digital dandysmom. I'm taking the easy way out I think by buying a new TV that is already set up-I hope! Then it will be a case of setting up the recorder and finding out how to use it. New technology doesn't half confuse me At least you got a bonus with your food channel
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 10:50 PM

Yes, it was analog to digital here too. Both of the little TVs I bought were digital ready. I don't have a TiVo, don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. I like the food channel, but would rather have my two lost channels with the news! It's not just me: hundreds of people in this area can't get 7 and 9 any more; they went from UHF to VHF ...an don't seem to care at the flood of complaints .....
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2009, 07:39 AM

As a slight sideways step on this -have you seen the latest ...? Now you can get 3-D tv. It seems that as in the past there are several versions vying with eachother -but only one will be 'favoured' by Bluetooth.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

22-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chr1st1an ->
As a slight sideways step on this -have you seen the latest ...? Now you can get 3-D tv. It seems that as in the past there are several versions vying with eachother -but only one will be 'favoured' by Bluetooth.
Not heard about that Chr1st1an-taking me all my time to cope with updating what I've got at the moment. Oh to be technologically minded
LEAHTAO
Cumbria UK
LEAHTAO is female 

24-09-2009, 08:18 PM

When we went digital a couple of months ago, I could not get channel 5 so I still have to do an 'installation' every day I want to watch it.

Daughter just got a freeview box that didn't cost much at all but there were a lot there that did the same job that cost so much more si take care when looking if you only want to get digital and not all the fancy stuff.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

24-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by LEAHTAO ->
When we went digital a couple of months ago, I could not get channel 5 so I still have to do an 'installation' every day I want to watch it.

Daughter just got a freeview box that didn't cost much at all but there were a lot there that did the same job that cost so much more si take care when looking if you only want to get digital and not all the fancy stuff.
Thanks for that Leahtao-a colleague at work was telling me she went to be with her MIL while they came to change her TV (she rents one) and he said its not as straightforward as people think-he also said that you could lose channel 5 and will need a freeview box even with the latest TV.

Was going to go today but didn't get there-at least I have a bit more info. to check on when I go on Saturday. Its mind-boggling (well to me it is)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

24-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Ha! They kept saying it's going to be so simple, and you'll get many more channels and a better signal. I ended up with a lot of channels I have no interest whatsoever in, lost two favorites that repeated rescanning and adjusting antenna won't get, and the signal is noticeably weaker. Hope you have better luck with your changeover.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

24-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Ha! They kept saying it's going to be so simple, and you'll get many more channels and a better signal. I ended up with a lot of channels I have no interest whatsoever in, lost two favorites that repeated rescanning and adjusting antenna won't get, and the signal is noticeably weaker. Hope you have better luck with your changeover.
So do I dandysmom-don't watch a great lot of TV but do like certain programmes-don't need lots of channels. I'd personally be happy with what I've got now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top