Join for free
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Catch-22

Has anyone been watching this?

I didn't see the original film, so this is all new to me, apart from knowing what Catch-22 stands for.

No spoilers re. the plot, please!

I would, though, be interested to know how people think it compares with the original. This version has had very good reviews.

(I never watched Hugh Laurie in 'House', so it's interesting seeing him act with an American accent!)

I'm really pleased they are using authentic music for the background, though, and some of the aerial special effects are stunning!

What do you think?
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Re: Catch-22

I vaguely remember the original movie, but can't say if it was any good. This latest concoction, I find a bit puzzling. Is it meant to be a comedy, or a serious look at life and death in war? I found it ok, but not really my cup of tea. I'm afraid I got my parachute, and jumped out ten minutes from the end!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
I vaguely remember the original movie, but can't say if it was any good. This latest concoction, I find a bit puzzling. Is it meant to be a comedy, or a serious look at life and death in war? I found it ok, but not really my cup of tea. I'm afraid I got my parachute, and jumped out ten minutes from the end!
I think it is meant to be a black comedy. There are certainly some hilarious characters, albeit stereotypes maybe, and I doubt anyone would really get promoted to major just because their name was Major and it made things easier for the officers' rota!
Pyxell
South of England

29-06-2019, 11:56 AM

Yup, I guess you could only call it a comedy, black or otherwise, with a scene, and a camera-angle, like this!

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:18 PM

I read the novel in the late '60's and saw the film when it was released.

The novel was (at the time) absorbing, disturbing, shocking and wildly funny. The "plot" was presented distinctly non-chronologically and narrated by different characters.

The film was also absorbing, disturbing, shocking and wildly funny with a great cast but I failed to notice (at the time) that huge chunks of the book, including many characters, were missing and the subtlety of the novel had been lost in the "stellar" performances and the special-effects. The "plot" was presented mostly chronologically and narrated by one character. It was not as well-received or popular as Robert Altman's MASH, which came out the same year.

AFAIK, the new six-part TV series is almost entirely chronological and the structure of the story has been completely re-worked. However, the amount of screentime available has meant that much of the dialogue has been transferred straight from the novel.

But ..... many of the novel's characters are missing and the treatment of women in the novel has been "politically corrected".

Inevitably, presentation is all in the new series and a modern audience will, no doubt, be hugely impressed.

At this moment in time, I don't want to commit myself to a series which may lose its' way or not end satisfactorily, so I'm deferring viewing until a later date.

A fresh view from yourself may be helpful. Keep me informed .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 09:30 PM

I won't bother.The book, at the time , was impressive and the film,not bad.But a modern re-make ,no thank you.
I was reminded of a character from the book when Trump first came on the political scene,a certain unprincipled opportunist.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 01:37 AM

I have the series but haven't watched it yet.

Haven't seen the film for a very long time but only remember it has being so so. The book on the other hand was brilliant I think it came out in the very early 60s because I was still at school when I read it for the first time. It was up there with the Gunter Grass, Aleksander Solzhenitsyn and Franz Kafka novels that shaped my formative years.

It became one of a small number of books I used to read over and over again, I would estimate that I have read it 10 to 20 times over the years even now it is still on my ereader.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 05:50 AM

That's a lot.
Pyxell
South of England

30-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Having now watched the second episode, I must admit that I am enjoying it.

It is a very sort of programme.
Some scenes, set in occupied Rome, look authentic, and I like it when the Italians, who can't speak English, natch, speak Italian with subtitles, and the GIs (or whatever they are) stumble in their attempts to speak their very limited Italian words.

Their was one funny moment when a little Italian girl said something very disparaging to Yo-Yo in Italian, which he didn't understand, of course!

It is a crazy plot, isn't it? However, the authenticity and the aerial effects and the settings are making it very enjoyable.

It's also shot in a sort of orangey technicolor which adds to the authenticity somehow. (Sorry, don't know the technical term for it!)

Just a reminder, for any future thread readers..........(as I don't want to know what happens!)...........

please, no plot spoilers, thank you!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top