Join for free
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 07:04 PM

What can You tell me about Cuba?

Went to Menorca in May........Going to Lanzarote in September but......

That's all a bit bland boring and samey ( tho' I love it really!)

So next year I'm seriously thinking of going to Cuba and my research starts HERE!

So what can you good people tell me about holidaying and sightseeing in Cuba?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Re: What can You tell me about Cuba?

It's a fun country the people are friendly
Havana is full of old cars and you can go and see where Hemingway drank and the revolution museum .
Take in the Tropicana show ( think the godfather ) Cubans are fabulous dancers
The food is not good .
They export the good stuff .
Maybe it's better now
It was some years back I went when Castro was still alive .
Going around the island are lovely beaches .
It's the Carribean so it's warm .
Most people love it
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 07:21 PM

We stayed here for two yrs running,wonderful weather great beach,went out locally,the locals are really friendly.Its at the opposite end to Havana with I think a good few hrs travelling on really poor roads so we never undertook it.Took a trip to see cigars being made,still done by hand.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 12:30 AM

Cuba..Pronounced "Coo-bah" in Spanish. Used to be a corrupt cesspit under dictator/ gangster Battista with an elite in both the corrupt labour movements, gangsters and the rich with many people starving or forced into prostitution or crime to survive. It was also a "vacation" spot for the crime families of New York and Chicago. (see "The Godfather")Fidel Castro and Che Guevara led the revolution and kicked all the fascist filth out. Usual purges were almost as bad with many people summarily shot. But at least the people of Coo-Bah were given decent health care, education and the basic necessities for a life without suffering. Many of the crims went to Florida and are still there. (See "Scarface")All in all Cuba survived without becoming the puppet of the US it once was. The literacy rate sky-rocketed in Cuba in the years after the revolution. The US naval base at Guantanamo Bay was leased in 1903 as a coal port and they have held it ever since. Not sure about it's status now but the Marines are still there I think. (See "A Few Good Men" etc) All the rest said about Cuba above is true I think. IT's a kind of quaint place. Ther people are friendly and welcoming. They like you to speak English to them so they can practice. The ones I met did leastways. I still got the feeling that the people are struggling but all that I met feel they are better off under the Castros than they would have been if Battista had not been kicked out. That's the elderly ones and it's a long time ago now though. MOst Cubans only know life as it is now.But it's worth a visit. I'd rather go there than to Russia or China.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Avoid Cayo Coco.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Some really interesting towns which are really run down but somehow look pretty. The old cars are amazing. Most of them are restored beautifully but you do see some old bone shakers too.

There's a great hotel on the seafront in Havana, can't remember the name off hand but will find out. Great for a drink or a meal.

Lovely ladies too.... You'll love it.

Oh they Sometimes ask to buy your trainers and they are heavily into any Beatles music.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Its got to be said the ruskies done them over big time,sugar was their biggest export once the russian's buggerd off with the money there was nothing left to run the infra structure to keep it up and with sanctions the yanks imposed they rely on the holiday trade and cigar sales.Got that from the locals.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 07:04 PM

It is the Hotel Nationale, a 1930's hotel in Havana, overlooking the harbour. I'm not suggesting you stay there but if you can get there for a drink or even just a look round. Lovely architecture.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	27672-3-hotel_carousel_large.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	9877  
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Nice............

Thanks for the info.

I'm really keen to get there next year..

Nothing booked yet......just booked Lanzorote for September so will get saving for Cuba.

Been looking at package deals for now.

I might look at alternative travel options next.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-07-2019, 09:39 AM

The music is great in Cuba, you can't help tapping your feet and you really do get people dancing in the street too.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top